Your picks when searching out value in the context of 16/17 pricing?

Anything to do with Port.
NickA
Fonseca Bin 27

Your picks when searching out value in the context of 16/17 pricing?

Post by NickA »

What are others thinking represents value given the en-primeur campaign is also a time to re-consider the relative value of back vintages?

I first thought 17s (and 16s before) were priced high, and yet get the calc out and it seems to be at the level the '94s if you add 23 years of inflation.

Now I'm looking at rebuying 94s (looking forward to Tues ;-) where recently Warres again is impressing and Dow last year very solid for re-buying) 00s (drinking beautifully on the whole), 03's look good value, and the 07s (no recent experience), 09s and 11s. 11s seemed to be fully priced given the WS hype perhaps? 94s still an obvious one. But what about your thoughts about other vintages?

More specifically though, thoughts on the 03 Fonseca and 09 Fonseca? I bought them in London on Friday but they give me concerns; even though the 09 is relatively cheap, it's got high VA (not in the disaster league of the Niepoort '94 but still ultimately a flaw) - anyone else find that? (I note Neal Martin's note on release mentioned 'balsamic' so evidence for it is there), and the 03 is just a bit too much of that hard edge I noted on release and perhaps today even more so (initially dusty and closed on nose, and the same austere/baked/mineral character in evidence that stopped me jumping in way back when and alcohol somewhat dominating the fruit). Did anyone make a supple 03 perhaps worth checking out?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Your picks when searching out value in the context of 16/17 pricing?

Post by flash_uk »

I tasted the F03 at the BBR Port Walk back in November and was very impressed by it. I’ve had a look and I don’t appear to have added a TN here on the forum. I’ll have a poke around and see if I can find my notes from the evening. I recall coming away thinking I should be adding some to the cellar.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Your picks when searching out value in the context of 16/17 pricing?

Post by DRT »

NickA wrote: 14:45 Sun 09 Jun 2019time to re-consider the relative value of back vintages?
I haven't checked out the other vintages you mention, Nick, but would suggest that top-end 1985s are fantastic value at the moment. Taylor 85 is widely available at £300 for 6 IB. The 2017 is £325. Graham, Fonseca & Warre all tell the same story.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn