Berisford Vintage Character Port

Anything to do with Port.
johnto99
Cruz Ruby

Berisford Vintage Character Port

Post by johnto99 »

Hello
I recently purchased a job lot ofmixed Port at auction. Amongst the Bottles was a Berisford Vintage Character Port. i have not come across this before and I'm struggling to find out much about it from the internet. According to the bottle it was produced and bottled by Gilberts and Co of Vila Nova de Gaia in Portuga and Imported by Capital Wine and Travers ltd of London and Harwich. But thats all I know about it.

I was wondering if anyone else on this forum had come across this and has any more information about it

Many Thanks

John T
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Berisford Vintage Character Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

There's a brief mention of the brand and the importer on the Sherry Notes website, but nothing substantive that I can find. It seems to be a brand that was in use in the UK in the '70s but didn't last.

Gilberts, if I recall correctly, is one of the brands now owned by Ferreira.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
StuartC
Cheap Ruby

Post by StuartC »

I'm aware of a number of Berisford sherries, bottled (possibly 1970s, due to stated units of measurements) from solera & criaderas systems established in the late 1800's/early 1900's - also shipped by Capital Wine & Travers Ltd, Harwich. So I might suspect Berisford to be a brand name - with Ports and Sherries sourced from 3rd-party suppliers.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Also have a look at our Swedish friends' page on Berisford here.