Buying LBV

Anything to do with Port.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Buying LBV

Post by Christopher »

Now some of you who have known me for a few years may be surprised to hear that I am interested in buying some LBV !
The only LBV’s I have today are some wonderful old ones from the 80’s.
The reduction of supply of new vintages to reflect the market at present which is clearly really starting to recover together with the excellent quality of the LBV’s means I want to start buying unfiltered LBV’s for longer term storage. I actually think that the improvement in prices of vintage port will actually start driving up the prices of LBV so I want to take advantage of the great value at present. Clearly one needs to have low cost storage and I am working on that!

I would be really interested in any recommendations and which LBV’s are unfiltered? Unfiltered being very important for me because of the aging characteristics.
I am looking at the 2011’s at present and I know there are different views on this but I am thinking of sticking to main declarations.

This also has the advantage of increasing my cellar defenders!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Buying LBV

Post by DRT »

{speechless-emoticon}

:shock:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:{speechless-emoticon}

:shock:
I was thinking the same thing. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Yes I am wondering myself, perhaps it may be I am coming down with something!
I do though think that 10 years ago I really did not think there was much point buying LBV as you could source VP at not much of a premium. That premium has now massively increased so the discount of LBV to vintage has increased therefore making it much more of a bargain.
Hence starting to look at LBV!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Unfiltered being very important
This aspect is a bit vague with LBV

Some labelled unfiltered bottles are given T stoppers (e.g. Fonseca) and some that don't claim to be unfiltered are given driven corks (e.g Niepoort)

One or two don't claim to be unfiltered but give clues with their product description - Q. da Revolta for example, warn that their LBVs will throw a deposit, which together with the driven cork, gives a strong hint (their 2011 LBV is also very good)

I work on the premise that if it has a driven cork or says unfiltered on the label then it's unfiltered, and anything else isn't.

And.. I have also been building up my stocks of LBV - with a view to being able to deliver a sustainable supply of 24 mature bottles p.a.

I am looking to lay down a total of 640 unfiltered bottles - and am at 466 so far..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've always enjoyed buying LBVs and ageing them for at least 10 years, many last 20 years with ease. I don't know about 2011, but from other vintages I've bought and enjoyed:
- Niepoort (many vintages, the ones from the mid-nineties are wonderful to drink now)
- Smith Woodhouse (still drinking their 1995, which is holding up nicely)
- Warre's Bottle Matured (recently had a 2000 blind and thought it to be SQVP)
- Quinta do Javali (their 2001 is excellent now)
- Quinta do Crasto (1997 still going strong)
- Quinta do Passadouro (the 1997 seemed to be on its way down last time I tasted it, but was lovely for a long time)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

To Ronnie's list I would add the following LBVs which I know are bottled unfiltered and intended to be capable of ageing:
- Sandeman
- Ferreira
- Offley
- Quevedo
- Quinta das Lamelas

I think, but can't be certain, that Noval make both a filtered LBV and one which is intended to be able to age. Warre certainly do, so beware which you buy.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote: 15:37 Sun 01 Jul 2018

I think, but can't be certain, that Noval make both a filtered LBV and one which is intended to be able to age. Warre certainly do, so beware which you buy.
Correct, Noval makes both a filtered and unfiltered LBV. Most of the filtered is for airlines (and the like) and IIRC the Netherlands or some other place around that area.