Selo under/over capsule

Anything to do with Port.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Selo under/over capsule

Post by richmills »

A quick question for the experts (well, everyone's an expert compared to me :D )

I have a few bottles of Taylor '77 that I've acquired over the years from different sources most of which have a selo under the capsule. I've just bought another couple of bottles that arrived last week, and they have the selo just stuck on top of the capsule. Everything else about the bottles looks exactly the same as all the other Taylors '77 I've seen. What's the reason for the difference?

Cheers, Rich.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Selo under/over capsule

Post by uncle tom »

Probably a re-corked late release. If you look at the ones with the selo under the capsule, is there some seepage or crusting round the base of the foils?

The original corks on T77 were very poor quality.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

A lot, if not the majority(?) of bottles I have seen of Oporto-bottled Taylor from the '60s and '70s seems to have the selo over the top of the capsule. From '80 onwards it seems to be some under, some over.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The bottles with the selo under the capsule will have been shipped soon after release. Those with the selo over the top will have been shipped from Oporto many years later. The selo is normally applied immediately before shipping.

I don't think they will have been re-corked otherwise the selo could have gone under a new capsule.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

DRT wrote: 09:23 Fri 18 May 2018 The bottles with the selo under the capsule will have been shipped soon after release. Those with the selo over the top will have been shipped from Oporto many years later. The selo is normally applied immediately before shipping.

I don't think they will have been re-corked otherwise the selo could have gone under a new capsule.
Ah that makes sense, thanks. Definitely not recorked in my opinion; the capsule looks to be just as old as the ones with the selo under.
Cheers, Rich.