Crusted Port Wine Malvedos 1958 in Magnum format

Anything to do with Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Crusted Port Wine Malvedos 1958 in Magnum format

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

bought this Magnum quite a few years back and always wondered if it is genuine or fake. First was real Crusted Malvedos ever made? Bt looks genuine from the era and despite slightly glui wax level is still just i.n. and fine, bright clear red color.
If anyone has any further ideas or information please let me know.
Obviously 60 years on it may be time to drink it. :lol: Am sure we will find an occasion...

regards

WS1
Attachments
img_20180406_120548.jpg
img_20180406_120548.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
img_20180406_120630.jpg
img_20180406_120630.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Crusted Port Wine Malvedos 1958 in Magnum format

Post by benread »

Wolfgang, I’m not sure what you paid for it but I wonder if a bottle like this would be worth the trouble of faking? Or has the scrutiny of more valuable wines pushed fakers into new markets?

I don’t know the answer to either question but if you choose to open it with TPF friends I’d love to be there! Malvedos is one of my favourite ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It looks real to me and I am certain that a "crusted" port was made from the 1958 vintage - this is actually a proper vintage port.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'm sure I've seen at least one other crusted from Graham or Malvedos with a very similar label, though I can't find a picture of it immediately; it may be in my (somewhat overdue) pending pile to add to the VPID. Looks genuine to me, and indeed looks like a '58 Malvedos bottled in '60, which assuming it was not declared and therefore had to be sold marked as crusted, but the labeling cleverly making it very obvious to be a vintage really. Very interesting, and hopefully delicious!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

In Graham's pre-Symington days, one of their idiosyncrasies was to label their Malvedos SQ wines as 'Crusted' rather than 'Vintage'.

The bottle looks entirely kosher to me. If it was mine, I'd give those capsule remnants a visit to the wax pot..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It looks genuine to me.

A little known fact is that in the early days of the use of the brand "Malvedos" the wines didn't come from the quinta - they were from vineyards in the Torto valley. This is probably from that era.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Dont open this without me, please...
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote: 19:51 Sat 14 Apr 2018 It looks genuine to me.

A little known fact is that in the early days of the use of the brand "Malvedos" the wines didn't come from the quinta - they were from vineyards in the Torto valley. This is probably from that era.
And many of the grapes came from a number of adjacent vineyards which were not actually part of the Quinta back then. Over time those neighbors have been bought and incorporated into the Quinta as it is known now. That is also why in the later 1990's the label finally changed to full Quinta D. Malvedos name. It was only during this mid-1990's that all the grapes finally came from the Quinta.
SFE
Cruz Ruby

Post by SFE »

Hi WS1,

1958 was declared by some but not all major Port Shippers. It was a good year that produced fragrant wines of great finesse.
Graham’s did indeed produce Malvedos Crusted 1958 (from the image your bottle looks absolutely genuine - see ours below) and we still have 10 dozen of this marvellous Port here in our cellar. As indicated, at the time Graham’s used the Malvedos Crusted designation for genuine 2-year bottlings.

It is correct that in those days Graham’s sourced their wines from both Quinta dos Malvedos and Quinta das Lages in the Rio Torto Valley amongst other properties. Malvedos was effectively a brand of Graham’s.

When we acquired Graham’s and re-launched Malvedos we continued to use it as a brand because the grapes came from the quinta and the area surrounding the Malvedos property. In the mid 1990’s, after having acquired a significant number of adjoining vineyards, the expanded Malvedos supplied all the necessary grapes and hence the change to Quinta dos Malvedos.

We certainly hope you enjoy the wine when you do find an occasion to open the bottle.

12345.jpg
12345.jpg (246.57 KiB) Viewed 7012 times
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Many thanks SFE for the info.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SFE wrote: 10:10 Wed 18 Apr 20181958 was declared by some but not all major Port Shippers. It was a good year that produced fragrant wines of great finesse.
Graham’s did indeed produce Malvedos Crusted 1958 (from the image your bottle looks absolutely genuine - see ours below) and we still have 10 dozen of this marvellous Port here in our cellar. As indicated, at the time Graham’s used the Malvedos Crusted designation for genuine 2-year bottlings.

It is correct that in those days Graham’s sourced their wines from both Quinta dos Malvedos and Quinta das Lages in the Rio Torto Valley amongst other properties. Malvedos was effectively a brand of Graham’s.

When we acquired Graham’s and re-launched Malvedos we continued to use it as a brand because the grapes came from the quinta and the area surrounding the Malvedos property. In the mid 1990’s, after having acquired a significant number of adjoining vineyards, the expanded Malvedos supplied all the necessary grapes and hence the change to Quinta dos Malvedos.
Thank you for this. Definitive comment from the definitive source is really welcome.