2016 Declarations

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2016 Declarations

Post by jdaw1 »

Graham’s website has no VPs after 2011. Other Symington brands do. Sigh. Have we a specific source for G and GST?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Have we a specific source for G and GST?
At the BFT, whilst gently chastising Johnny Symington for killing off the Martinez brand, he mentioned that the Symingtons had declared nine VPs for 2016

I worked out these must be:

Cockburn
Dow
Graham
Graham Stone Terraces
Smith Woodhouse
Vesuvio
Vesuvio Capela
Warre

And then either Roriz (not sure of it's current status..) or a Symington Family Estates wine for future supermarket 'own brand' VP
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote: 10:32 Sun 13 May 2018
Have we a specific source for G and GST?
At the BFT, whilst gently chastising Johnny Symington for killing off the Martinez brand, he mentioned that the Symingtons had declared nine VPs for 2016

I worked out these must be:

Cockburn
Dow
Graham
Graham Stone Terraces
Smith Woodhouse
Vesuvio
Vesuvio Capela
Warre

And then either Roriz (not sure of it's current status..) or a Symington Family Estates wine for future supermarket 'own brand' VP
Quinta de Roriz was made, I just never got to taste it at the tasting unfortunately (and I neglected to list it, I will fix my post).
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Quinta de Roriz was made
Is Roriz now a full member of the Symington stable - or just an estate they manage? Was not sure if Johnny would count it as 'one of theirs'..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote: 12:54 Sun 13 May 2018
Quinta de Roriz was made
Is Roriz now a full member of the Symington stable - or just an estate they manage? Was not sure if Johnny would count it as 'one of theirs'..
I think it still is a partnership with the Prats family. I recall an interview Bruno Prats did about the Estate sometime last year and I've not heard of any change since that time.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Given eurozone inflation and changes in the exchange rate (taking the change in sterling to USD to reflect a global price outlook) one might expect a release price increase for the '16s of around 15% over the 2011s.

First indications however are suggesting that release prices are being hiked by a whopping 35%

This is very disappointing - I will need to be extremely impressed to buy at that level..
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote: 12:38 Fri 18 May 2018 Given eurozone inflation and changes in the exchange rate (taking the change in sterling to USD to reflect a global price outlook) one might expect a release price increase for the '16s of around 15% over the 2011s.

First indications however are suggesting that release prices are being hiked by a whopping 35%

This is very disappointing - I will need to be extremely impressed to buy at that level..
I suspect the tiny quantities are playing a part in the pricing. Launching a full declaration is an expensive business with a large fixed cost that needs to be split across fewer cases.

Even so, try buying a 1st Growth claret on release for <£50 a bottle in bond :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Launching a full declaration is an expensive business with a large fixed cost that needs to be split across fewer cases.
It's flawed logic - trying to charge more for less diminishes profit. With wine, the relationship between market interest and price is closer to logarithmic than linear - a much higher declaration volume at a reduced price would be easier to sell and yield a greater return.

The '11s already have a reputation for being a 'once in a generation' vintage, yet the secondary market prices are only level pegging with the release prices. I can't see the market buying the idea that another vintage of the same calibre has appeared, whatever the reviews, especially as some producers also declared '15 and there's already a buzz about '17

2016 is going to struggle to stand tall..
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

My money's on the Dow being the one that moves first.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote: 17:53 Fri 18 May 2018
uncle tom wrote: 12:38 Fri 18 May 2018 Given eurozone inflation and changes in the exchange rate (taking the change in sterling to USD to reflect a global price outlook) one might expect a release price increase for the '16s of around 15% over the 2011s.

I suspect the tiny quantities are playing a part in the pricing. Launching a full declaration is an expensive business with a large fixed cost that needs to be split across fewer cases.

Even so, try buying a 1st Growth claret on release for <£50 a bottle in bond :roll:
I can't speak for UK pricing, but in general for the USA prices are up around 15-20%. That's not a lot when you consider, by and large, they haven't raised prices since the 2003 declaration. That's a long time without a price hike. As much as we'd all like to pay prices from 20 years ago that just isn't going to happen.
H_Sterling
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by H_Sterling »

John Owlett wrote: 17:11 Mon 23 Apr 2018
uncle tom wrote: 08:42 Mon 23 Apr 2018... no word on Krohn
Krohn has declared to-day as well —

http://krohn.pt/our-port-wines/classic-vintage-port/

— but I can’t find a Fladgate Partnership press release, nor any news of Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha.

John
I understand that the Vinha Velha won't be released due to too little wine.

So far I have bought en primeur Fonseca.
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

H_Sterling wrote: 07:25 Mon 21 May 2018I understand that the Vinha Velha won't be released due to too little wine.
Rats!

But thank you for the information.

John
/2alph
Warre’s Warrior

Post by /2alph »

gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Front page updated. Please continue to post any other 2016 vintage ports you hear about, especially from smaller companies. Did Churchill, de la Rosa, Tedo or Crasto make a 2016 port?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Churchill’s did. See the below from an email.

Churchill's 2016 Vintage Port

We are pleased to announce the Declaration of
CHURCHILL’S 2016 VINTAGE PORT.

“Natural acidity in a young Vintage Port is the key to longevity. Our decision to declare Churchill’s 2016 Vintage Port has been based on the purity, ripeness and intensity of its fruit flavours, but especially on its excellent natural acidity”.

John Graham – Founder and wine maker.

The climatic conditions in 2016 in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior regions were unusual but ultimately beneficial. After a wet winter and an unusually wet and cold Spring, there followed the usual hot Douro Summer culminating in an August heatwave. The heavy rainfall in the late Spring helped to top up the water table providing the vines with the necessary hydric reserves to support a long, hot and dry Summer.

By early September our grape maturation tests showed that both sugar and phenolic maturations were well advanced. All that was needed was dry and cooler weather for the vintage. By 7th September these conditions were met and we started picking on 10th September taking it slowly and carefully selecting and prioritizing the grapes which had reached maturity. Our final lagar was filled on 8th October.

Despite the rainfall earlier in the year, the extreme heat of the Douro Summer had concentrated the juice in the grapes and the yields were low. The resulting wines show an intensity and purity of fruit combined with a vein of fresh natural acidity which gives them elegance and longevity.

We shall be making a Special Opening Offer for Churchill’s 2016 Vintage Port during the coming month.

Copyright © 2017 Churchill Graham, Lda, All rights reserved.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I received the Wine Society 2016 offer today.

They are offering their own blend of a Symington port under their 'Exhibition' label. which they imply is different from other Symington wines. They also offer Quinta do Vale D. Maria, and Quinta de Roriz.
H_Sterling

Post by H_Sterling »

Tanners are offering en primeur Pintas and also a Tanners label.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Boutinot:
Krohn have declared the 2016 vintage – announced on St George’s Day (23rd April ’18) as is customary. The last classic vintage released was the 2011.

Head Winemaker David Guimaraens summarised the ’16 vintage:

“Two factors stand out in 2016. Heavy rainfall in spring meant that the vines had plenty of water throughout the summer. Secondly, the ripening season started relatively late and lasted well into September. This led to very gradual and even ripening of the crop with all elements in perfect balance at the time of the harvest. Picking started later than usual on all our estates….

…Harvesting conditions at the end of September and early October were perfect, with cool nights contributing to long fermentations and gentle, complete extraction. As a result the wines are solidly structured with firm, well integrated tannins and display very fine fruit quality.”

Krohn’s Managing Director, Adrian Bridge, said: “The keynotes of 2016 are purity and refinement. The Vintage Port displays elegance and poise, a wonderful purity of fruit and tannins of great quality… The 2016s are likely to become rarities in future, particularly given the trend towards enjoying Vintage Ports young.”

The 2016 will be shipped later in the year, and available by Autumn.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've added a few more shippers to the list at the top of the thread and also included links to tasting notes, where we have them.

ThomasBarleycorn
Cheap Ruby

Post by ThomasBarleycorn »

Quinta de Corvus port 2016 was declared too
Always on the lookout for 1993 wines!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

ThomasBarleycorn wrote: 14:50 Tue 06 Nov 2018 Quinta de Corvus port 2016 was declared too
Thanks Thomas - now added to the list.

JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Andy Velebil wrote: 11:30 Mon 16 Apr 2018 To be accurate, most VP's don't come from just one Quinta. Even "SQVP's", by law, can have a small amount from other Quinta's and still be called a SQVP.
Are there rules for SQVP? I thought that SQVP is not at all regulated by the law nor IVDP? Legally it is a Vintage Port, everything else is just marketing.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JB vintage wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: 11:30 Mon 16 Apr 2018 To be accurate, most VP's don't come from just one Quinta. Even "SQVP's", by law, can have a small amount from other Quinta's and still be called a SQVP.
Are there rules for SQVP? I thought that SQVP is not at all regulated by the law nor IVDP? Legally it is a Vintage Port, everything else is just marketing.
There are regulations for them. Like everything in the Douro the regulations are far more complex than what is often told to the general public. I assume for ease of explanation and for the fact that some people can’t handle things not being black or white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JB vintage wrote: 21:05 Fri 09 Nov 2018
I agree with JB Vintage - I don't think SQVP is a defined category and the rules that apply to it are those covering Vintage Port.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn