Glasses: what to buy; where to buy?

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Glasses: what to buy; where to buy?

Post by jdaw1 »

Glassware, and where to buy it cheaply, have been mentioned in various places on this forum. This thread is meant to bring together these matters.
  1. Very interesting and huge experiment on the ideal whisky glass. A port version should perhaps be attempted.
  2. Where to buy ISO glasses in the US?
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=7890#7890]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Jay and Eric asked where I bought my glasses so cheaply.
    • Marjorie Lumm’s Wine Glasses
      2101 Northeast Jack London Street
      Corvallis OR 97330-6916

+1 800 806 0677
      www.wineglassesltd.com (which hasn’t been updated since a change of address, though phone number still works)

ISO wine glass = INAO wine glass cost $2.25 each in boxes of thirty-six (as of Dec 2007).
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9437#9437]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Met a restaurant supply salesman recently.
    • Jerry Fleming, Premium Supply Co, 960 Grand Boulevard, Deer Park, NY 11729
      631 586 2477; 212 696 0350; cell 917 992 0761; fax 631 586 3639
      His email is at aol usual-punctuation com, and is jfcftf.
    That ISO glass has code 9309RL, and he quoted me $38.60 per dozen (not as cheap as Marjorie Lumm’s $27 per dozen).
  3. ISO glasses in the UK?
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9806#9806]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:Image

Laithwaites, the UK wine merchants, are giving away packs of 2 or 6 ISO Tasting Glasses if you buy 12 or 24 bottles respectively of any wine.

Here are the links to the 2-Pack and 6-Pack

The home page is at http://www.laithwaites.co.uk

I received my 6 pack yesterday and the glasses are delivered in a very handy styro shipper, making it an ideal set to take to an Off-line. I do not know whether or not the 2-pack comes in a similar box but will find out soon becuase I have just ordered some.

If you don't want to order any wine you can just buy the glasses at £6.99 for 2 or £19.99 for 6 plus £5.95 shipping.

These offers only tend to last for a week or so.
    Also available for £19 per half-dozen from www.amazon.co.uk, albeit sourced from www.wineware.co.uk who sell them at the same price.

A significant UK/US price disparity: if you find a cheaper source, please do post.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I use the basic Riedel red wine glass for everything - get them from Wineware for around a fiver each.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Which glass?

Post by jdaw1 »

Top one of these, presumably. Quite expensive when multiplied by ten people and a dozen ports.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 13:59 Fri 08 Feb 2008, edited 1 time in total.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I use two different kinds that suit me fine:

1. The 'official' port glass, designed by Alvaro Siza Vieira, now produced by Schott Zwiesel. Good value at around ┚¬ 5.00 per glass. Only downside is that (around here) they are only available in cartons of 6.

2. Schott Zwiesel Vinum series. I believe it is officially the cognac glass, but that's just silly, as it is the perfect shape for port, not cognac. A little bigger than the Siza Vieira glass, and a little bit more expensive too. Around ┚¬ 7.00 per glass.
Tsunami
Cheap Ruby

Post by Tsunami »

i use the vintageport glass of the riedel sommeiler serie,

i like the a bit highter glass than the vinum, and it makes the nose good concentraded. the thinnes of the glass also helps for best feeling.

this is my favorite
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Mostly white wine glass, sometimes red wine glass both from Spiegelau "vino grande".
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Kath has kindly bought me crystal port glasses from sell fridges
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Simon Lisle wrote:Kath has kindly bought me crystal port glasses from sell fridges
Where are the fridges? I can probably find the crystal but my 12yo Planet Zanussi FF is starting to get a bit dicky.

I have some ISO tasting glasses, which are excellent but some disappeared in the last move. I also have 7 (one broked) Debenham's Port glasses, which are reasonably priced, strong (with one exception, see above) and pretty good.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have 12 branded port glasses that I purchased in sets of 2 from the visitor centres in VNG in 2006. These were very reasonably priced. From memory, I'm sure it was less than 10 Euro per pack of 2.

I also have a couple of the Debenham's ISO glasses and have recently taken delivery of 18 ISO glasses from http://www.laithwaites.co.uk - plus another 6 that belong to someone here.

I have just submitted a birthday request for a set of 2 Riedel Vinum port glasses which I will reserve for special ports.

I think I now have enough glasses.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

So you've bought six cases of plonk from Laithwaites?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

He must have since I think the deal from Laithwaites was "buy 6 glasses and be forced to take delivery of 12 free bottles of wine"
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:So you've bought six cases of plonk from Laithwaites?
No. I bought 4 cases:
  1. 12 x Quinta do Poco do Lobo 1993
  2. 12 x Garage Red
  3. 6 x A White + 6 x A Red
  4. Mystery Case of 12 Reds
Case 1 is going into storage as it is one of the very few wines or ports I have seen from 1993, my son's birth year. Case 2 is one I always buy when on special offer, as it is now. Case 3 is almost gone already and Case 4 will mostly be given to my Mum. I can't believe you thought I was being excessive :roll:

As a result of these purchases I received 2 x 6 ISO glasses in styro-foam boxes. I also bought 3 packs of 2 glasses at £6.99 per box in the hope that these would also come in styro-foam packaging but unfortunately they didn't. The other box of 6 was purchased by someone from here for £19.99.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

I use the 'official' port glass, designed by Alvaro Siza Vieira, for all the ports that I drink.

As Schott-Zwiesel are producing them (and no shipping costs from 150 on) I put my logo on them as well:

http://www.worldofport.com/impressum.htm

It shows the demarcated region partially transparrent.

For me it is the optimum Port-Glass, as it has a solid stand, well manufactered glass, a perfect size and I always do miss the thumb-lay, when drinking port from other glasses. I think it is the ideal allround glas for the complete range from Cockburns Ruby to the Nacional 63.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hmm? I think I may have spoken too soon when I said I have enough glasses :roll:

Axel,

Do you sell these glasses with your logo on? If so, could you please let me know by PM how much it would cost to have 6 shipped to the UK?

Thanks

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I love those styrofoam boxes that they came in, only got one box of six but the box is nearly as useful as the glasses.

I hadn't realised tha the Garage Red was on Special - I like that and the Garage White.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Case 1 is going into storage as it is one of the very few wines or ports I have seen from 1993
Could be of course because the vintage was completely dire! :wink:

Never heard of this wine (or is it port?) Can you tell more about it? Did you taste it?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:
Case 1 is going into storage as it is one of the very few wines or ports I have seen from 1993
Could be of course because the vintage was completely dire! :wink:
Correct!!! :lol:

It isn't port, it's a dry red and I haven't tasted it yet. I really just wanted something from his birthyear as a novalty for when he is old enough to share a bottle of wine or two with his old Dad. I might pop one tonight and give it a try. If it's OK and not falling apart I'll ship the rest of to my storage place for a few years. It was sold as "Drink from now until 2012" so it can't be too bad. Can it? :?

I'll post a TN soon.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I like the IDVP or Riedel for port. The IDVP are sturdier so far.

As for wine, I have given up on Riedel as they are too fragile. I do like the Crate & Barrel's glasses (US Chain). Very similar shape as Riedel's, yet are half the price. They have several shapes for an assorment of wines.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I have a number of official Port glasses (and some "Cognac" glasses of identical shape), however I actually prefer a medium-sized brandy snifter. Perhaps that's blasphemy, but I enjoy the big nose of port (having one myself) and the color around the edge is more apparent with the broad bottom. I picked up a bunch at Fishs Eddy (cheap), but will see if they have port glasses the next time I'm in there.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Getting glasses - NY Area

Post by SushiNorth »

Anyone in the NY area interesting in getting some of the Marjorie Lumm glasses? They come in 36-packs, which is more than I need, but if two other folks are interested we can split those up a dozen each.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Glasses: what to buy; where to buy?

Post by jdaw1 »

1. They come in a handy box that slides right under your bed.
2. Thirty-six glasses is five people, seven bottles, and a spare. You might need them.
3. Due to some breakages I could take a dozen from you, if you still want to split a box.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

1) Or slides right into my basement :)
2) I'll leave the tastings to you, I'm more focused on the drinkings (for which one glass is all I require).
3) Cool -- one more dozen up for grabs and then I'll order.
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:1) Or slides right into my basement :)
2) I'll leave the tastings to you, I'm more focused on the drinkings (for which one glass is all I require).
3) Cool -- one more dozen up for grabs and then I'll order.
if yer just using 1 for tasting
might i recommend

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C4JZE
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

The Sommelier Riedel Port glass is the best I've ever tried, but the price is ridiculous given the differences in what Port will smell like and taste like in this glass. I simply can not justify the minute upgrade over the Vinum for the exorbitant difference in cost. I use them on v. rare occasions.

The Riedel Vinum Port glass is the one that I find offers the best shape and style overall, with a balance of value for money. I have lots of these and use them not only for my every day Ports, but my best Ports as well. I have never broken one of these unless it was dropped onto a hard surface. I find them very capable of handling dishwashing for years on end.

I very much enjoy the Siza glass by Schott Zweissel (IVDP) and have a few dozen with etched IVDP logo/pic etc. in them. Fun to break out for friends, but I don't want to drink my best VPs out of them, as I prefer the Vinum side-by-side to deliver the best outcome in aromatics and flavor.

The affordability of the Spieglau is very tempting and I do own six that I received as a gift. However, I don't really like the shape, stem or aperture. But I know folks that love 'em and may they enjoy every Port they drink from these. I'd prefer any of the Port glasses above instead.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Roy Hersh wrote:I'd prefer any of the Port glasses above instead.
Roy - thanks for the advice, I'll have to acquire a couple of each for a side-by-side comparison before I buy a batch. I'd thought they were all a "regulation" size/shape (like Sake tasting glasses), didn't realize there were subtle differences.
JoshDrinksPort