Page 1 of 1

Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 12:31 Fri 13 Oct 2017
by HattNoble
Hello there!

Has anyone ever heard of (or tasted) Fonseca's Choco 30 year old?
Any additional information about this botteling would be very welcome!

Jeroen

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 09:19 Sun 15 Oct 2017
by AHB
I've not heard of this before. Do you have a picture you could post?

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 12:17 Sun 15 Oct 2017
by PhilW
Fonseca's choco is mentioned on their website in the history section, as an old Tawny delivered to Harrod's in 1916; see
http://www.fonseca.pt/en/fonseca/histor ... -business/

If the bottle you have is very old, perhaps it might be one of these. If it is new, perhaps they have brought the name back, though I have not seen any press release on this.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 18:32 Sun 15 Oct 2017
by HattNoble
Here’s a picture of the bottle, it was bottled in 1977
Afbeelding1.gif
Afbeelding1.gif (134.69 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Afbeelding2.gif
Afbeelding2.gif (141.19 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Afbeelding3.gif
Afbeelding3.gif (139.41 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 19:27 Sun 15 Oct 2017
by AHB
Really interesting. I've not seen this before, but it should be enjoyable if you open and drink it. If you do, let us know your thoughts on how it tastes.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 20:26 Wed 18 Oct 2017
by HattNoble
I will certainly do so after we've opened and tasted this one!

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 21:18 Wed 18 Oct 2017
by Andy Velebil
It appears to be a regular 30 year old tawny, but with a fancy name that was quite common in years past. It was bottled in 1977 and if stored well should still drink ok, however that's a long time for something not intended to be aged so long in bottle. I wouldn't expect a blockbuster this many years later but it should still be enjoyable.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 17:46 Thu 19 Oct 2017
by DRT
A very rare find. As far as I a aware Fonseca have not made a 30 year tawny since losing a significant part of their cellared Ports when part of the lodge collapsed in 2001.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 19:45 Thu 19 Oct 2017
by Andy Velebil
DRT wrote:
17:46 Thu 19 Oct 2017
A very rare find. As far as I a aware Fonseca have not made a 30 year tawny since losing a significant part of their cellared Ports when part of the lodge collapsed in 2001.
Are you talking about the landslide from the neighbor? If so, That damage took out mostly lower end ruby stocks and very little upper end stuff, thankfully.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 22:47 Thu 19 Oct 2017
by DRT
Andy Velebil wrote:
19:45 Thu 19 Oct 2017
DRT wrote:
17:46 Thu 19 Oct 2017
A very rare find. As far as I a aware Fonseca have not made a 30 year tawny since losing a significant part of their cellared Ports when part of the lodge collapsed in 2001.
Are you talking about the landslide from the neighbor? If so, That damage took out mostly lower end ruby stocks and very little upper end stuff, thankfully.
Yes, but I bought an old Fonseca 30 yr old about ten years ago and remember discussing it with someone from TFP who told me that the loss of a few older casks led them to decide to stop the 30 yr tawny blend until the blending stocks recovered, which would take a few decades.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 02:42 Fri 20 Oct 2017
by Andy Velebil
DRT wrote:
22:47 Thu 19 Oct 2017
Andy Velebil wrote:
19:45 Thu 19 Oct 2017
DRT wrote:
17:46 Thu 19 Oct 2017
A very rare find. As far as I a aware Fonseca have not made a 30 year tawny since losing a significant part of their cellared Ports when part of the lodge collapsed in 2001.
Are you talking about the landslide from the neighbor? If so, That damage took out mostly lower end ruby stocks and very little upper end stuff, thankfully.
Yes, but I bought an old Fonseca 30 yr old about ten years ago and remember discussing it with someone fro TFP who told e that the loss of a few older casks led the to decide to stop the 30 yr tawny blend until the blending stocks recovered, which would take a few decades.
Interesting. I've had two people tell me it was palates of mainly boxed inexpensive rubies that were ready to ship that got wiped out. And that no significant older stuff was damaged. And that all the juice ran down the hill, a sea of ruby. Now you've peaked my curiosity and I'll have to ask when I see one of them.

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 08:42 Fri 20 Oct 2017
by DRT
Are you suggesting that people in the port trade might embellish stories a little to add to the mystique of their products?

Surely not :roll: :lol:

Re: Fonseca Choco 30 years old?

Posted: 14:32 Fri 20 Oct 2017
by Andy Velebil
DRT wrote:Are you suggesting that people in the port trade might embellish stories a little to add to the mystique of their products?

Surely not :roll: :lol:
Never ;) LOL!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk