Buying port in Portugal!

Anything to do with Port.
Honestjon
Cruz Ruby

Buying port in Portugal!

Post by Honestjon »

Good evening

I'll be jetting off to the Algarve at the beginning of October for 10 days of late summer sun!

I was hoping to buy a few bottles of port to replenish the stocks but was wondering if anyone knows of any decent retailers in Vilamoura?

Would I be able to pick up a decent bottle or two in a local supermarket or does anyone know of any independent type shops I should be visiting?

Any and all advice is most welcome

Honestjon
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Buying port in Portugal!

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm not familiar with the Algarve so can't help with advice on local wine shops. But my general observation is that Portugal is an expensive place to buy port compared to the UK or the US.

Any idea which airport you're flying through? I've had success in the past with finding reasonably priced port at the airport shops in Lisbon and Oporto.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Honestjon
Cruz Ruby

Post by Honestjon »

Hi and thanks for the advice.

I'm pretty sure we're flying Manchester to Faro.

I'll make sure to have a decent browse of the duty free on the way home!

Thanks again

Honestjon
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Think I may have mentioned on this Forum before but the Soares chain of wine merchants is well represented in the Algarve and indeed there's one on the Marina in Vilamoura although this is not as cheap as some of the branches that are slightly away from the touristy areas. Don't bother with British shippers as the products of these are cheaper in the UK. However, good prices can be found for the likes of Calem that are also seldom seen in the UK. I didn't do last time but also check out some of the bigger supermarkets as these can sometimes unearth some good value. What I've always found interesting is that somewhat surprisingly, Port prices in the Algarve tend to be cheaper than in Oporto!

Happy hunting!
jmrc
Cheap Ruby

Post by jmrc »

Certainly there will be others, but I know the following points of sale:
Apolónia Supermercados (good selection of VP although a bit pricey)
Garrafeira Soares (on my vacation in June of this year, I bought two VP at a fair price).
Garrafeira Veneza
Garcias Cash
Duty free at Faro Airport may be a good option.