Time for drinking vintage port

Anything to do with Port.
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Time for drinking vintage port

Post by Sten »

It has been a terrible summer in Sweden in the end of July it was cold and terrible weather so we decided that it’s time to drink vintage port. I was down in the cellar to find a vintage that I have not been old enough to remember the summer and I decided to take vintage 1935 to make the summer better and it was many years before my birth. I took Calem and Constantinos and we enjoyed it on the 29th of July and the weather the following days was much better indeed and I was sorry I was not born before 1935. In the beginning of August we were told that some places in the north of Sweden had had just one (!) week of summer temperature during 2017 and on the 6th of August the autumn has started up in the north part. I do hope they have some bottles of old vintage port up in the north of Sweden to survive. This week we have started the “vintage season” with a tasting of 6 vintage of Gould Campbell between 1966 and 1997. Thank’s heaven for vintage port

Sten
Malmö
Sweden
www.vintageport.se
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Time for drinking vintage port

Post by LGTrotter »

Well done! A bit of a rubbish August here as well. I have been inspired by your post to open a bottle of Croft 77.
Sten

Post by Sten »

We had Gould Campbell 1977 this week and it was great!

Sten
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have a Warre 1977 on death row, but the temperatures have just shot up to the mid-high twenties again so I shall wait to open it a few days until it cools down again.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Sten

Post by Sten »

I think Warre is better than Gould Campbell. I have always loved Warre

Sten
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote: 22:14 Sun 27 Aug 2017 I have a Warre 1977 on death row, but the temperatures have just shot up to the mid-high twenties again so I shall wait to open it a few days until it cools down again.
That's cold. This week it's supposed to hit the low 40's (Celcius) in Los Angeles area. :shock: Pretty sure I'll be sticking to Gin and Tonic's and very cold crisp beer until this heatwave passes.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Inspired by Sten to ignore the weather, I have a tasty Delaforce (Quinta da Corte) 1987 open this evening, despite the temperature (about 25C).
Sten

Post by Sten »

Well I guess the Delaforce was delicious. We had no problems with heat-waves in Sweden. This summer was the coldest since 1862 (sic). We should have started drinking vintage port earlier

Sten
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

To paraphrase an old Tuborg beer advertisement:
When does a Port taste the best? .....Everytime!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Andy Velebil wrote: 13:06 Mon 28 Aug 2017
AHB wrote: 22:14 Sun 27 Aug 2017 I have a Warre 1977 on death row, but the temperatures have just shot up to the mid-high twenties again so I shall wait to open it a few days until it cools down again.
That's cold. This week it's supposed to hit the low 40's (Celcius) in Los Angeles area. :shock: Pretty sure I'll be sticking to Gin and Tonic's and very cold crisp beer until this heatwave passes.
I'm ashamed of you! Surely that should be a white port and tonic!!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote: 08:39 Mon 04 Sep 2017
Andy Velebil wrote: 13:06 Mon 28 Aug 2017
I'm ashamed of you! Surely that should be a white port and tonic!!
I have no cheap white Port in the house to mix with. It reached 114 degrees (45.5 Celsius) at work the other day. But with the humidity the website said it felt like 51 Celsius....and it felt like that every bit. It was at least 43 Celsius since last Thursday. It has rained a bit at those temps as well. I'm over it and ready for cool weather. I wanted nothing but a very ice cold crisp beer after trying some Andresen 40 Year Old White Tawny. Nothing with tons of sugar or residual sugar in it after that one. Just way too hot even for me.

Today at about 3pm it finally broke and started to cool off. It's now a sorta-chilly 24 Celsius out at just past 1am (PST). I'm ready for wine later today. 88)