A day of three surprises

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

A day of three surprises

Post by uncle tom »

Picked up a couple of boxes of (mostly) port from a house clearance sale on Friday, and yesterday got to have a look at them.

Surprise 1

One of the bottles was an old (perhaps thirty years old) bottle of Taylor's white port. In addition to the selo the top of the bottle also had an old faded duty slip. Reading the label revealed that the bottle had been first sold in Thailand. Well, you don't see that much port offered for sale in Thailand, and what there is is horribly expensive due to massive import tariffs on alcohol. That someone should dig deep to buy a bottle out there, not drink it and stick it back in his suitcase to bring home - ultimately ending up in a junk sale - is a tad bizarre. A well travelled bottle!

Surprise 2

Another of the bottles was a bottle of Sandeman Oloroso sherry. The bottle was full, the colour very pale, the foil was missing and the T stopper was not quite perfectly seated. I decided to investigate.. - and found the bottle contained Whisky! I have a vision of a poor old codger seeing out his last days in the care of an overbearing nurse, who determined that he could have sherry but not whisky - and so a kindly friend conspired with him to confound the starched dragon..

Surprise 3

I have been weighing every bottle of port that passes through my paws for nearly four years now, and recently have been catching up on bottles bought before then, also recording in more detail their condition and bottler's details, when known. In early 2011 I went on a fairly intensive buying spree, and had a lot of bottles to put away that spring. One lot was a dozen Noval '66 bought from Bonhams. The bottles were heavily encrusted in dirt and dust and whilst ten had plastic capsules, two had foil ones, so I logged them under a separate case number. Revisiting those two bottles yesterday, I rubbed a little of the dirt off the top of the capsules. In addition to the words Noval and 1966, the word Nacional also appeared.. Oh! I thought..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: A day of three surprises

Post by benread »

I'm not sure how excited the first 2 surprises left you, but I suspect the 3rd was very gratifying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I suspect the 3rd was very gratifying!
Indeed, especially as they both have excellent levels still..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

uncle tom wrote: 09:21 Sun 06 Aug 2017Surprise 3
In addition to the words Noval and 1966, the word Nacional also appeared.. Oh! I thought..
I like the classic British understatement. Congratulations, a very nice surprise indeed.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ugh, Ugh, and Awesome!!