Mystery bottle of ruby port

Anything to do with Port.
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Mystery bottle of ruby port

Post by GenX2325 »

Well here's a strange one for everyone,
I was clearing out my grandfathers old garage last weekend and I found a few very interesting items, one of which was a mysterious bottles of Choice ruby Port for the Christopher and Company Ltd wine merchants, the strange thing is is that business went under on the mid 80s which too is that it is at least 30 years old.. however we then noticed that on the label that the measurements were in fluid onces and anyone from the Uk will know that we went metric in 1965 haha.. which dates it to at least 52 years old, this annoying thing is though I cannot find any information anywhere on the brewery or the merchant other than a small article on a whiskey discussion page about when the merchant open and when it went out of business,
So really I'm asking if anyone has any information at all about this port and or Christopher and Co.
thanks
Cory V.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Mystery bottle of ruby port

Post by DRT »

Hi Cory,

Christopher & Co. were a prominent UK wine merchant in the 19th and 20th century and bottle Port produced by many different producers.

What you have is a very old bottle of very basic Port. Ruby Port can be purchased from around £8-£12 per bottle today and it is a style that is not designed to be aged. The vast majority of Ruby Port produced is probably drunk within a year or two of bottling. The decades are unlikely to have been kind to your Grandfather's bottle, particularly as it has been stored in a garage where the temperature will have fluctuated hugely over the years.

The bottle has no significant financial value (perhaps £10?) so I would suggest you open it and raise a glass to your grandfather with some friends and family.

Cheers
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Post by GenX2325 »

Hi Derek,
Thank you very much for your reply and the information you have given me, that's one mystery down from the long list of unanswered questions about my grandfather haha,
I shall indeed open it up and raise a glass, I might even post some tasting notes considering it's age and my curiosity!

Thanks,
Cory
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Cory,

You should find that the contents of the bottle taste a little like barley-water — sweet, a little bland but with a grapefruit or green apple acidity that stops it from being totally unpleasant. As Derek says, these styles of port are not made to be aged in the bottle but rarely do they turn into something undrinkable.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Post by GenX2325 »

Thanks Alex,
I plan on opening the bottle tomorrow night so hopefully it'll be alright
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you took any pictures, please post them or share your thoughts and comments with the rest of folks who read the forum.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Post by GenX2325 »

Hi Everyone,

I haven't opened it quite yet but I have got some pictures to share, We also found fairly resent bottle of Royal Oporto, Ruby Porto in the garage that I have been thoroughly enjoying tucking into very nice port for a cheap price.
Furthermore on the the Christopher and Co. bottle would you recommend decanting it first due to the significant amount of sediment?

Thanks again,
Cory
Attachments
IMG_0053-05-08-17-09-33.JPG
IMG_0053-05-08-17-09-33.JPG (122.96 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
IMG_0052-05-08-17-09-33.JPG
IMG_0052-05-08-17-09-33.JPG (180.64 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

would you recommend decanting it first due to the significant amount of sediment?
Yes. Either stand it upright and undisturbed for 24 hours to let the sediment settle, and then pour the wine off the sediment in one go, stopping when the first sediment appears in the neck, or stick some clean cheesecloth, surgical gauze or coffee filter paper into a clean funnel and pour the whole lot through. I personally use surgical gauze squares which are very cheap to buy - but everyone here has their own preferred method..

Enjoy!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Post by GenX2325 »

Perfect! Thank you very much I shall get my decanter cleaned and ready haha
GenX2325
Cruz Ruby

Post by GenX2325 »

Hi everyone,
Sorry for not giving an update in a while work has been hectic haha, I have since opened the port and as expected it did not look like a ruby and more like a tawny, the taste is mildly apple like with other mild notes that I still can't quite grasp with my lack of experience:( but it is very pleasant.
Just thought I'd updat everyone haha,
Cory,
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Thanks for letting us know. From the photo you posted it did look as though the colour had significantly faded (perhaps unsurprising given age and storage of a basic ruby), so am not surprised that the taste was slim. I did like the label though; would you mind if I added it to the VPID? (image database for vintage port bottles/labels/capsules)? I don't often add non-vintage, but like the label enough to include it if ok with you.