Can anyone help us?

Anything to do with Port.
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Can anyone help us?

Post by Sten »

We have some vintage from 1931. Unfortunately 2 of those are B.O.B. One was bottled in Copenhagen by Oskar Davidsen and the other in Oslo by Kroepeliens Enke. Maybe someone in London or Oporto know which house the port came from because we think it is unnecessary to drink the same house twice the same day of the rare vintage 1931.

Sten- Jörgen- Stefan from Malmö, Sweden
www.vintageport.se
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Can anyone help us?

Post by DRT »

Can you please clarify whether you want help with identifying them or drinking them? :twisted: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Sten,

I had to smile when I read your post. I have absolutely no idea which shipper was bottled by either of these two wine merchants so I can't help you, but I really do hope someone is able to. I presume that you have already asked whether the two companies have any records which you might be able to take a look at.

In the UK there are government run archive services which would allow you to inspect any records held for a particular company, so if I wanted to find out which shipper had been bottled by Hatch Mansfield in 1931 (just as an example) I **might** possibly be able to track it down that way, but it would require a lot of time and effort.

I have no idea whether there is an equivalent archive in either Denmark or Norway.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Sten wrote: 13:06 Sat 22 Jul 2017We have some vintage from 1931. Unfortunately 2 of those are B.O.B. One was bottled in Copenhagen by Oskar Davidsen and the other in Oslo by Kroepeliens Enke.
Not in my data.
Sten wrote: 13:06 Sat 22 Jul 2017we think it is unnecessary to drink the same house twice the same day of the rare vintage 1931.
But it would be understandable.
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Sten »

Alex,
Do you mean that you can find the house in Great Britain? I have a vintage 1917 from Garett Bros. Can you identify the house?
I do not know where in Great Britain Garret sold their port!

Of course I hope that you can come to Malmö if I managed to have a Semi-Great tasting (i.e. at least 10 bottles) from 1931.
I still miss a few but not so many!

Kind Regards

Sten
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I can't see a "Garret" or "Garett" (you've provided two different spellings above); could it be "Garnett Bros." (later "Garnetts" - no apostrophe), a Wine and Spirits merchant of Sheffield? They were trading across across the required date, though I have no idea if they were substantial enough to have had their own bottling.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The National Archives list this company as "Garnett Brothers Ltd, wine and spirit, tobacco and cigar merchants, ale and stout bottlers", so they do seem to have had a bottling line but it was possibly only for ale and stout.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn