differing labels on feist port bottle

Anything to do with Port.
philfy
Cruz Ruby

differing labels on feist port bottle

Post by philfy »

Hello,
I was hoping someone may be able to give me some information on a bottle of port.
I bought this 1937 bottle of Feist Porto for my Dad's 80th birthday, it was bought from a reputable auction site.
Having looked online for information I noticed that all the other bottles shown have the same style of handwritten painted label on the bottle.
My bottle seems to have a much more "flamboyant" style of writing. I don't seem to be able to find any images of this particular style and was wondering if someone may be able to shed some light on why it is different to all other images to be found.
The capsule/bottle looks authentic , so I'm pretty sure it's not a fake, just wanted some more info. to
talk about with my Dad when we are drinking it.
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
phil
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: differing labels on feist port bottle

Post by DRT »

Hi Phil,

can you please post some pictures of the bottle?

Thanks
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
philfy
Cruz Ruby

Post by philfy »

sorry I thought they were attached,
here they are again
cheers
Phil
Attachments
feist2.jpeg
feist2.jpeg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
feist1.jpeg
feist1.jpeg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am quite sure I have seen that style of capsule before but not that style of stenciling. The use of the word "CUVEE" on a bottle of Port seems odd to me but given that it is described as PORTO it could well have been bottled for the European market where the use of cuvee would perhaps be more normal.

Is there a bottling date anywhere on the bottle?
Ernest H. Cockburn
philfy
Cruz Ruby

Post by philfy »

Hi DRT,
the only other information is on the bottom of the bottle, SB 1091, embossed into the glass, during manufacturing I presume.
I read that port can be bottled in different countries but sent from the producer in barrels?
Maybe the bottler decided to keep the Feist "style" but add a little extra "style" to his bottles.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

The capsule looks genuine; the bottle shape is quite unusual. Perhaps the "flamboyant" style is a consequence of someone taking a stencil designed for a straight upright bottle and trying to use it on this one with sides that slope inwards?
philfy
Cruz Ruby

Post by philfy »

Hi PhilW,
I can find other dumpy bottles of feist with the the sloping sides, as this link shows.https://www.jahrhundertweine.de/shpSR.p ... 257&p2=531

it's the way the text on my bottle is overlapping, it looks on purpose with the top line underneath the middle line and the 3rd line overlapping the middle, with the "7" in 1937, just on the edge of the 1st "E". Nice bit of styling I think.
thank you for your comments.
cheers
phil
forest26
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by forest26 »

Hi

I have seen the term Cuvée used on old bottles of Tawny/colheita destined for the French market. I believe in this case cuvee refers to 'barrel'.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

forest26 wrote: 22:06 Mon 30 Jan 2017 Hi

I have seen the term Cuvée used on old bottles of Tawny/colheita destined for the French market. I believe in this case cuvee refers to 'barrel'.
Good to know :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
StuartC
Cheap Ruby

Post by StuartC »

Entering an old thread here... but was just about to post similar enquiry as I have received a bottle of Feist Cuvee 1951.

Bottle front is block-stenciled "Porto Feist Cuvee 1951". From back label: Imported for the Italian market, barrel aged, bottled in 1973.

Agree this to be a Tawny or Colheita. Question is which...

Cuvee generally describes the time/period when a blend (assemblage is a more positive term) was made, whereas Vintage specifies a single harvest year.

Is it possible therefore that Cuvee 1951 is suggesting the base-wine was blended in 1951 from grapes (or wines) of multiple years of harvest?