What would you buy?

Anything to do with Port.
mapmap
Warre’s Warrior

What would you buy?

Post by mapmap »

Here in Quebec, there is a law that forbids anyone to import alcohol from other countries, along with a few exceptions that can not be used by me for the moment. Every alcohol sold has to go through a monopoly called the Société des alcools du Quebec (SAQ).

Right now, there are a few bottles of port that are cheaper these days at the SAQ and I wonder if I should buy a few, saying that I have a few pennies to spend. Meanwhile, I must say that I have 3 bottles pre-1990, 2 bottles of 2003, and 7 of 2011 in my wine cellar. I wonder if buying some in the 90ies would be a good idea, in order to buy able to drink them soon, though I wouldn't mind buying something younger if it's a great deal in your opinion!

Here's the link for the deals of the week at the SAQ (I hope the link is going to work):

http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se ... &metaData=

Merci for your suggestions!
/2alph
Warre’s Warrior

Re: What would you buy?

Post by /2alph »

i recommend to buy Grahams 1970
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

From that list, taking the prices into account, I would suggest one (or more) of three potential choices, depending on your preference for younger/older port and your budget:
- The Graham '70 : much more expensive than the others, but also fully mature and lovely port
- The Dow '94 : a good '94 at a fair price, just entering (or at least, heading towards) maturity
- The Cockburn Canais 2000 : I personally think this is lovely port, and very good value (as well as the fact that I like the label). Slightly earlier maturing than the standard Cockburn release from the same year, but I also prefer it.
So, I'd almost certainly buy some Canais, and then possibly either some G70 or D94 depending on budget, taste and current cellar content.
mapmap
Warre’s Warrior

Post by mapmap »

Thank you both of you! Since I already have a few graham's 70, I might go for both Dows 94 and cockburn 2000. I like the idea of having a few bottles that are around 21 years old!