Book or Bottle Holiday Present Suggestion

Anything to do with Port.
briggsag
Cruz Ruby

Book or Bottle Holiday Present Suggestion

Post by briggsag »

Hi all,

Disclaimer: Complete novice to most anything port-related.

My father would like a book about port or a nice bottle of port for Christmas and I am not sure how to start. He has been to Portugal a few times but just recently (this summer) visited northern Portugal and actually visited Porto and the surrounding area. He has some Portuguese friends where he lives (Michigan) so he drinks Port relatively frequently and wants to develop a higher level of knowledge and appreciation for Port.

In terms of a book- honestly most of what I have read online suggests many Port books are outdated. Not sure if anyone here has any good suggestions.

In terms of a bottle- I have gotten some recommendations from employees at liquor stores here in Boston Massachusetts, but I'm honestly not sure if their advice is any good. I also do not even know what style my father likes.

I thought this may be a good place to crowdsource ideas so any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Book or Bottle Holiday Present Suggestion

Post by jdaw1 »

More clues please. What types of wine does your father like?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

"Port & the Douro" by Richard Mayson is probably the most recent and certainly one of the most enjoyable and informative books, so a hearty recommendation there.

As far as bottles go: it's difficult to give a recommendation if you aren't sure about the style your father likes. But if you give the book, he'll need a port next to it for better enjoyment. So why not go for a traditional LBV from a producer that your father may not come across every day, such as Quinta do Crasto, Niepoort or Ramos-Pinto? Pleasure guaranteed.
Constandia
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Constandia »

If you go for a bottle than a book I would suggest discovering the style your father likes by making a fun experience out of it. A good way to go is buy a couple of half bottles of two of the major port styles, say a half bottle (375ml) of a 20 year old tawny ( barrel aged) port and a half bottle of a vintage (bottle aged) port (say for example a fonseca 2000 or 1997). You can try them with your dad and get a feel on what he likes! Then, next Christmas you can be certain on choosing a full bottle and up the scale a bit maybe going for a full bottle (750ml) of a 40 year old tawny if he prefers barrel aged ports , or an older vintage port from the late '70s or the '80s if he likes the bottle aged port. Please note that the vintage port is generaly considerably higher in price.

Another option is to make a choice based on how your ports are served and how long they can be left open for further consumption. Tawnies are easier, just open the bottle, pour and enjoy sort of thing and are nicer slightly chilled. The opened bottle can be resealed and kept for a few weeks, giving your dad the oportunity to have a tipple now and then.

The vintage ports however should be served in a room temperature and the wine should be decanted carefully by being poured to another vessel as these ports are unfiltered and sediment will possibly have formed in the bottle, so you need to separate this from the rest of the wine (you can use a muslin or a coffee filter). Vintage ports have remained in that very same bottle for years and prolongued oxygen and wine interaction can ruin its taste, so it's advised to be drunk within 3 days of opening only.

It is also a good option to go for a Late bottled Vintage port or commonly known as LBV, another port style, which is sort of a combination of the two, let's say a vintage port that has been aged in a barrel a bit longer and is ready to drink now. However, I believe it would be best to decide in between a tawny or a vintage as these outline the characteristics of barrel vs bottle ageing and are easy to distinguish.

I really hope this helps towards your decision!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Richard Mayson's "Port and the Douro" is the most comprehensive and up to date guide to the subject.

Richard sells signed copies of his book from here: http://www.richardmayson.com/books-and- ... -and-douro
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Tarne
Cheap Ruby

Post by Tarne »

In trying to arrive at an answer to your question it wasn't until I tried putting myself in your father's shoes that I suddenly realised if you don't know what he may like how on earth would I or any other stranger know.

What I do know is that from a loving child, who clearly wishes to please ones father and cares enough to research what he might like, I would be delighted to (a) receive a copy of Port and the Douro by Richard Mayson, a fine book, updated recently and (b) any bottle of port from Federal Wine & Spirits, 29 State Street, Boston. They have about 30 Ports on their list, mostly V Ps. I would be especially grateful to receive a vintage 2000, of which there are several, because it's good to receive and drink a gift of port that is drinkable but perhaps should be kept.

If he is not already aware the 'icing on the cake' would be to encourage him to sign up for membership here and fortheloveofport forum - no subscription and lots of benefits!

Sent from my iPad
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I don't know the wine merchants of Boston, but my advice would be find a well established and reputed one and take their advice about a bottle or two. I have almost always found good merchants know and care about what they supply. They can often point out where the value lies on their list.