Farewell to broken decanters

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Farewell to broken decanters

Post by jdaw1 »

This is the thread is to say farewell to broken decanters. It happens. Mourn them here.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Farewell to broken decanters

Post by jdaw1 »

Looking for something else, I found the following picture from 26th December 2008. Oddly I have no direct recollection of the evening — my only knowledge is that in the Review.

• Bottom left still does faithful service, though has acquired a chip since then. We all grow older.

• Moving one north-east, short and squat was and still is my favourite decanter.

• Middle of the five on the table was then my second-favourite decanter. 1920s, slightly art deco, cut glass. It (he? she?) died in a transportation accident in October 2011. My fault: inadequately packed in a suitcase. It was empty—a mercy that though small was still welcomed.

• Next along, the tallest decanter on the table, was dropped by the mother-in-law. One of a pair (so it might be the other that was dropped), and still missed by its twin.

• And fully north-east still sees active service.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Farewell to broken decanters

Post by g-man »

Ah yes, found memories of when i was happily unemployed.

I believe we followed this tasting up a few days shortly with an 80 v 85 midday tasting after a few bottles of champagne for lunch.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz