Jancis Robinson - Vintners' Tales

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Jancis Robinson - Vintners' Tales

Post by Doggett »

Not strictly a Port conversation topic, but seemed like the best category for this. Below is a link to a youtube collection of Jancis Robinson's charming Vintners' tales that I hope some of you will enjoy as much as I did. Episode 7 with Nigel Wilson is particularly interesting to see what an Oxford college wine/port cellar is like, and how seriously the management of the cellar(s) was taken in 1997! All are approx 10mins in length.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jancisrobinson

Episode 1 Harry Waugh
Episode 2 Bill Baker
Episode 3 Farr Vintners (a very long time ago)
Episode 4 Michael Broadbent MW
Episode 5 Carla Carlisle, English vigneron
Episode 6 Adam Brett-Smith of Corney & Barrow
Episode 7 Nigel Wilson of Lincoln College, Oxford
Episode 8 John Avery MW
Episode 9 Edmund Penning-Rowsell,
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Jancis Robinson - Vintners' Tales

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm shocked as Nigel doesn't seem to know what he's in charge of, in terms of what they have in the cellars. I love when Nigel and Jancis walk into the "Main cellar" and the room is empty. Classic! :lol:
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Andy Velebil wrote:I'm shocked as Nigel doesn't seem to know what he's in charge of, in terms of what they have in the cellars. I love when Nigel and Jancis walk into the "Main cellar" and the room is empty. Classic! :lol:
Yes, he came across as somewhat of stereotype Fellow-not really appreciating the value of what he was in charge or (as you say) where it was kept!

Also watched the Harry Waugh one. My mouth did drop when, ar the time he was with Block, Grey and Block, he said that the army cadets at Sandhurst got somewhat of a good deal out of the 'Big Ben' vintage character Port as they'd put the 31 vintage into the blend!

I'll try and watch the remainder of these over the coming days (I also watched the one on John Avery) as they're only 10 minutes long.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

My primary thought after watching Nigel was we should find him and his equivalents in the other colleges and invite him/them to a tasting!

Julian - you are adept at drawing up and sending letters to people we've never met before. Fancy a crack at Nigel?