Help me ID this port

Anything to do with Port.
svidmar
Cruz Ruby

Help me ID this port

Post by svidmar »

Hi

I bought some different wines of an auction, and as a bonus, I found a bottle of port between all the reds and whites. My knowledge on port is quite limited, and I can't really seem to ID this specific bottle by using Google.

So, can anyone help me ID this bottle - and tell me if it's worth drinking or if I should reduce it with some rosemary and pour it over some beef tenderloin instead :)

Photos here:
https://goo.gl/photos/Wqxi5ds9WUwFgJqg7

Any help is much appreciated :CC9933:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Help me ID this port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

There appears to be a black label with white type on the neck. Could you include a picture of this in the selection of photos you've put onto Google?

Thanks.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Appears to be an older tawny from Real Companhia velha. But as AHB said a pick of the label would be most helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

From the portion of that label I can read, it seems to have a short paragraph in four different languages, talking about sediment and wine becoming clear, so I would hazard a guess it is a simple instruction to stand the bottle up a few days before consuming to allow some minor sediment to fall and clear the wine.
svidmar
Cruz Ruby

Post by svidmar »

flash_uk wrote:From the portion of that label I can read, it seems to have a short paragraph in four different languages, talking about sediment and wine becoming clear, so I would hazard a guess it is a simple instruction to stand the bottle up a few days before consuming to allow some minor sediment to fall and clear the wine.
Yes, exactly.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Judging by the sello, I would say this is a basic tawny from Real Companhia Velha (part of the Royal Oporto group) bottled in the '70s. It's likely to be drinkable, tasting much like water sweetened with brown sugar would taste - light, delicate and with traces of honey.

It is unlikely to be anything special and is worth approximately zero unless you can find a bottle or glass collector who likes the bottle.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
svidmar
Cruz Ruby

Post by svidmar »

AHB wrote:Judging by the sello, I would say this is a basic tawny from Real Companhia Velha (part of the Royal Oporto group) bottled in the '70s. It's likely to be drinkable, tasting much like water sweetened with brown sugar would taste - light, delicate and with traces of honey.

It is unlikely to be anything special and is worth approximately zero unless you can find a bottle or glass collector who likes the bottle.
Thank you for your reply.

This seems likely, as some of the other bottles are from the 70's... Well, it can probably be used for something in the kitchen :lol: