England or Portugal bottled?

Anything to do with Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

England or Portugal bottled?

Post by flash_uk »

Needing to bring an English-bottled port to this tasting, I had planned to bring a Gould Campbell 1970. Upon standing up the bottle, I found myself unsure whether it was actually English-bottled. Label below - what do you think everyone?
Attachments
01m6e0o49exis.jpg
01m6e0o49exis.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: England or Portugal bottled?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Does it have a Selo on the top? If so, Oporto bottled, if not most likely not. Of course it may have fallen off if applied over the top of the capsule instead of under it, which complicates matters.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Andy Velebil wrote:Does it have a Selo on the top? If so, Oporto bottled, if not most likely not. Of course it may have fallen off if applied over the top of the capsule instead of under it, which complicates matters.
Good question - will look when I get home. I don't think it does have a selo, and the capsule is still intact, so as you say, unless it was applied over the top and fell off...

Well anyway, this can be the deciding factor for my conundrum of whether to bring the bottle! Selo in place, Oporto-bottled. No selo, English.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Is there a back label or indication of the year it was bottled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The label says "Shipped by Warre & Co, Lda. Oporto for Clode & Baker Ltd. London".

If C&B had bottled it I would have expected to see "bottled by" rather than "for" in that description.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

My memory deceived me - the bottle has a selo! Mystery solved. Plan B for my bottle for the tasting, or rather, plan W.