Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Anything to do with Port.
User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 23:36 Fri 27 May 2016

What is the most recent, the youngest, general declaration of which you have never tasted a Port?

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 23:37 Fri 27 May 2016

I have never tasted a 1904.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3357
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by Glenn E. » 02:39 Sat 28 May 2016

Hmm... I believe mine would be a 1945, though I own one in my Graham vertical.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by DRT » 11:19 Sun 29 May 2016

jdaw1 wrote:I have never tasted a 1904.
Are you certain about that?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 11:58 Sun 29 May 2016

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I have never tasted a 1904.
Are you certain about that?
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=42610#p42610]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:S1904, though apparently please could somebody with a better memory post the details sufficiently associated with Hardy Rodenstock to be a possible fake.
The failure of grammar is regretted.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by DRT » 15:31 Sun 29 May 2016

But AHB reported that the cork looked correct and was branded "Vintage 1904", so it is perfectly possible that you have tasted a 1904.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1973
Joined: 08:28 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by RonnieRoots » 23:21 Sun 29 May 2016

Just as Glenn, 1945. So if anyone comes over to visit, please bring a 1945.

User avatar
John M
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 122
Joined: 18:45 Sat 31 Mar 2012
Location: USA

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by John M » 15:53 Mon 30 May 2016

1966 for me...then 1955.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by DRT » 17:17 Mon 30 May 2016

I don't think I have tasted an 1887.

I have tasted at least one VP from every general declaration since that vintage.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2538
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by Andy Velebil » 20:02 Mon 30 May 2016

DRT wrote:I don't think I have tasted an 1887.

I have tasted at least one VP from every general declaration since that vintage.
+1

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2705
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by PhilW » 20:25 Mon 30 May 2016

1912 - though I have had a "believed 1912" unknown, in which case 1908.
Or 1947 if that year is deemed to have been declared sufficiently to count (I think small, rather than general, declaration that year).

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by AHB » 22:54 Mon 30 May 2016

PhilW wrote:1912 - though I have had a "believed 1912" unknown, in which case 1908.
Or 1947 if that year is deemed to have been declared sufficiently to count (I think small, rather than general, declaration that year).
1947/1948 was a split declaration so that would certainly count.

Perhaps something to gently remind us of as we approach the Christmas tasting...

By the way, this is a great thread and one well worth posting on FTLOP if you have the chance to do so.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3700
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by LGTrotter » 22:59 Mon 30 May 2016

My vintages are a little less archaic. Never had a 2009 or a 2007.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 23:36 Mon 30 May 2016

AHB wrote:By the way, this is a great thread and one well worth posting on FTLOP if you have the chance to do so.
Done.
LGTrotter wrote:My vintages are a little less archaic. Never had a 2009 or a 2007.
On [url=http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?p=130083#p130083]:ftlop2014:[/url] Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:Excluding vintages from the most recent decade, what is the most recent, the youngest, general declaration of which you have never tasted a Port?
Owen caused the question to be rephrased.

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2705
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by PhilW » 14:12 Tue 31 May 2016

AHB wrote:
PhilW wrote:1912 - though I have had a "believed 1912" unknown, in which case 1908.
Or 1947 if that year is deemed to have been declared sufficiently to count (I think small, rather than general, declaration that year).
1947/1948 was a split declaration so that would certainly count.
...though I have had the 48, if that is all part of the same single split declaration. Perhaps we'll just have to have to make sure we have a '12 and an '08 for me (just to be sure), an '04 for Julian, I can bring the 1887 for Derek, with a '45 for Glenn, and ?? for Alex? I'm up for this tasting anytime btw ;)

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3357
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by Glenn E. » 17:05 Tue 31 May 2016

AHB wrote:1947/1948 was a split declaration so that would certainly count.
I had forgotten that, but conveniently I've also had a 1947 so my guess is still 1945.

I cannot remember a specific tasting during which I tasted a 1975, though, so it's possible that my youngest is actually much younger. I suspect that I've had a 1975 somewhere along the line, though, and just can't remember when.

After 1945... 1927, I think? I know I've tasted 31/34/35 but doubtful about 27 and 24.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by AHB » 20:34 Tue 31 May 2016

This is starting to feel like a wish list for the TPF Xmas tasting...

My first question is what were the generally declared vintages prior to 2007. I've worked on the assumption that these were:
2003, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1985, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1972, 1970, 1967, 1966, 1963, 1960, 1958, 1955, 1950, 1948, 1947, 1945, 1942, 1935, 1934, 1931, 1927, 1924, 1922, 1920, 1917, 1912, 1908, 1904, 1900, 1897, 1896... and then I get stuck.

So from this list, the youngest generally declared vintage I have never tasted is 1897.

If I look back at consecutive years the youngest vintage I have never tasted is 1956 (although I had to cheat a bit with some, like 1973 where it was a crusted port bottled in 1973 or the unrecognised Santa Eufemia old white from 1973).
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2705
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by PhilW » 20:37 Tue 31 May 2016

AHB wrote:If I look back at consecutive years the youngest vintage I have never tasted is 1956 (although I had to cheat a bit with some, like 1973 where it was a crusted port bottled in 1973 or the unrecognised Santa Eufemia old white from 1973).
I think you have 1956 covered, at least as well as '73.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by AHB » 20:48 Tue 31 May 2016

PhilW wrote:
AHB wrote:If I look back at consecutive years the youngest vintage I have never tasted is 1956 (although I had to cheat a bit with some, like 1973 where it was a crusted port bottled in 1973 or the unrecognised Santa Eufemia old white from 1973).
I think you have 1956 covered, at least as well as '73.
Sadly, I wasn't able to make the Olympics tasting - I think I was in Rome at the time.

1956 is a good Madeira vintage, but a very rare port vintage.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 20:59 Tue 31 May 2016

AHB wrote:My first question is what were the generally declared vintages prior to 2007. I've worked on the assumption that these were:
2003, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1985, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1972, 1970, 1967, 1966, 1963, 1960, 1958, 1955, 1950, 1948, 1947, 1945, 1942, 1935, 1934, 1931, 1927, 1924, 1922, 1920, 1917, 1912, 1908, 1904, 1900, 1897, 1896
1978? 1972: general? 1958, 1931, 1897? Really?

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by AHB » 21:29 Tue 31 May 2016

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:My first question is what were the generally declared vintages prior to 2007. I've worked on the assumption that these were:
2003, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1985, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1972, 1970, 1967, 1966, 1963, 1960, 1958, 1955, 1950, 1948, 1947, 1945, 1942, 1935, 1934, 1931, 1927, 1924, 1922, 1920, 1917, 1912, 1908, 1904, 1900, 1897, 1896
1978? 1972: general? 1958, 1931, 1897? Really?
Well I don't know! Where is the book I could consult to see whether these were general declarations? We have tasting notes from 5 full declarations from 1978. How many are required to make a general declaration?
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20496
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by jdaw1 » 00:04 Wed 01 Jun 2016

AHB wrote:Well I don't know! Where is the book I could consult to see whether these were general declarations?
Yes sir, yes sir. Working on it right now.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3357
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by Glenn E. » 16:20 Wed 01 Jun 2016

AHB wrote:How many are required to make a general declaration?
While I realize that this doesn't actually answer the question, I would assume "more than half" would need to declare for a vintage to be considered a general declaration.

Question: more than half of what? All producers? Major producers?
Glenn Elliott

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3357
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by Glenn E. » 16:30 Wed 01 Jun 2016

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:My first question is what were the generally declared vintages prior to 2007. I've worked on the assumption that these were:
2003, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1985, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1972, 1970, 1967, 1966, 1963, 1960, 1958, 1955, 1950, 1948, 1947, 1945, 1942, 1935, 1934, 1931, 1927, 1924, 1922, 1920, 1917, 1912, 1908, 1904, 1900, 1897, 1896
1978? 1972: general? 1958, 1931, 1897? Really?
1992? 1991? Both declared by major groups, but a tough call. I'd say both or neither... lean toward both. But if including 1991 causes other inclusions based on percent declared, then I could be talked into some other conclusion.
1982? Usually considered the significantly lesser half of a split declaration, so no.
1978? Some good Port, but no. Not enough participation.
1972? Consideration given for political instability?
1967? I lean toward partial, ergo no.
1958? I lean toward partial, ergo no.
1947? Isn't this the lesser half of a split declaration with 1948?
1942? Consideration given for WWII?
1931? Consideration given for economic circumstances?
1922?
1917?
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
flash_uk
Dow 1980
Posts: 2715
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Youngest never-tasted vintage?

Post by flash_uk » 22:27 Wed 01 Jun 2016

1945 for me.

Post Reply