The order of australia association

Anything to do with Port.
Vardy
Cruz Ruby

The order of australia association

Post by Vardy »

Hi,
I have found a bottle of tyrells old tawny port from 1988 that has been personally selected by murray d. Tyrell a.m. for the order of australia association to celebrate the Millennium 2000ad..

Cannot find any information on this such as value or any history..

If someone could help that would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: The order of australia association

Post by jdaw1 »

Is it Australian ‘port’? Have you a picture?
Vardy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Vardy »

Yes its australian i shall post a picture later today.
Vardy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Vardy »

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Vardy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Vardy »

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Tyrell makes good quality wines and although I have never had their tawny I can vouch for the Semillion (Vat 1, I think) which is startlingly good with plenty of bottle age. The tawny seems to be made with non-traditional varieties such as Shiraz and Grenache. My personal taste is that wines made with such varieties are a bit odd and I do not rate them highly. With regard to value I would not have thought it would be worth much more than the equivalent retail price for a bottle of their tawny.

This would appear to be a private bottling for 'The Order of Australia', either to serve at their beanfeasts or to sell as merchandise, from the look of the bottle it would seem more probable that it was for their private delectation rather than public sale.

An interesting bottle which will not deteriorate very much over the years but my advice would be, as usual on these occasions, drink it and see. As this is what it was made for.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:An interesting bottle which will not deteriorate very much over the years but my advice would be, as usual on these occasions, drink it and see. As this is what it was made for.
Seconded.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Langtons Wine Auctions (and other Australian auction houses) have a database of prices paid. This particular 'port' would not be worth much for the contents but the bottle may have some significance to some people. They may pay enough at auction for you to afford a Black cab fare for about 250 meters. Best to open it!