Old white port query

Anything to do with Port.
Paulliac
Cruz Ruby

Old white port query

Post by Paulliac »

I have some old white port that I bought as a bit of a gamble at auction, which turned out to be very good. The label says Dow's extra dry white port, produced and bottled by Silva Cosens ltd. Is there a way to find out how old it is, perhaps by decoding the paper tag around the stopper, which says FE 040728 02? Also, should it be stored horizontally or upright, or doesn't it matter? And does white port normally evolve in the bottle?
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Old white port query

Post by LGTrotter »

How nice to have had a good result from a bit of a punt.

If it has a selo (that bit of paper over the top with the number) you may be able to look it up. I think that Julian (JDAW) posted a link to a website somewhere on this site which could help (I will try to find it). Often the dating of such bottles is simply a case of casting a critical eye over it. If you post a picture of the bottles and labels someone might take a guess.

The decision to store it upright or not is not too critical. If you are intending to keep it for years then try laying it down, if it leaks then stand it up again. My rule of thumb is that if it has a 't' stopper (one of those things with a short cork and a plastic cap on it) then I stand it up and if it has a driven cork I lay it down. However others have said that they have had no problems with laying down wines with 't' stoppers.

I have too little experience of keeping white port, I doubt it would develop much and I have noticed others (Americans admittedly :wink: ) say that too long in the bottle can adversely affect the quality of white ports. Having said that, if you like it then do not let others persuade you it is wrong.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Some pictures would be really good. Then we might be able to help you with dating the bottle by looking at its shape, label etc. As well as normal pictures of the bottle please include a picture of the base of the bottle where the maker's marks are moulded in.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Paulliac
Cruz Ruby

Post by Paulliac »

Here is the top label and main label.
2016-03-20 22.18.34.jpg
2016-03-20 22.18.34.jpg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
2016-03-20 22.19.13.jpg
2016-03-20 22.19.13.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
Many of the labels have disintegrated - this is one of the better ones.
I didn't succeed in photographing the base of the bottle properly but the letters / numbers are BA 793 and then either 86 (if read from the outside) or 98. The bottle is quite stocky in shape and heavy.

It's nothing very special but the wine has a fresh flowery aroma and a good smooth silky oily texture, and it's not completely dry. It would be interesting to buy a new one to compare.

Thanks for the comments about storage.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

What you have is a very basic white Port. Not meant to age at all. Not worth much. Current pricing in USD is about $12, give or take a couple bucks.

While probably still drinkable I would not hold out hope they are excellent....never has a basic white Port been excellent, just for reference. :lol:

I do hope you didn't pay much for these?
Paulliac
Cruz Ruby

Post by Paulliac »

Thank Alan - I paid significantly less than that current pricing and was pleasantly surprised.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

White port of the not so expensive variety makes a more than decent summer drink with the addition of ice and a mixer, say tonic, chuck in some mint and fruit/cucumber. Fizzy water and Ginger and/or Elderflower cordials could also work well. Given these options, and the wine on its own tastes good, then I'm sure you bagged a bargain.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DaveRL wrote:White port of the not so expensive variety makes a more than decent summer drink with the addition of ice and a mixer, say tonic, chuck in some mint and fruit/cucumber. Fizzy water and Ginger and/or Elderflower cordials could also work well. Given these options, and the wine on its own tastes good, then I'm sure you bagged a bargain.
+1
I like to use lemon in the summer for White Port and Tonic's for a slightly more refreshing kick. Never tried elderflower cordials...thanks for the tip.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

I would guess it is from the 1980s or 1990s. White non vintage is a very basic port. However, in my experience even the basic white ports develop very well and becomes much more attractive after a few years. I did buy a few whites made in the 1950s and 1960s and they still hold up very well.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I believe it was bottled in 1998 based on the code.