Recorking

Anything to do with Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Recorking

Post by LGTrotter »

I seem to be coming across more recorked bottles these days. There are the supermarket BOB ports and the recent shipments from Portugal. A previous discussion around the Smith Woodhouse 77 was one example and now there is the Cockburn 77 (see the less than effusive note here). I assume that the Fonseca, Dow and Warre 85s which have turned up in half cases over the last few years are also recorked.

It would seem sensible to leave recorked ports to settle down for a while to get over the shock and I wondered how long might seem like long enough? Six months, a year or even two? Or is it the case (as Broadbent hints) that they never really get over being recorked?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Recorking

Post by Andy Velebil »

From what I've been told a VP needs around 1-2 years to really resettle itself after recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Thank you Andy. I shall leave my Cockburn 77 at least two years.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Andy Velebil wrote:From what I've been told a VP needs around 1-2 years to really resettle itself after recording.

If i recall rightly we had a recorked SW77 at the tasting on Monday. Is this a case for having a recorked date on the label ?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

idj123 wrote:
If i recall rightly we had a recorked SW77 at the tasting on Monday. Is this a case for having a recorked date on the label ?
I am not sure if the SW77 was recorked, wasn't it the Vesuvio 94 that was suspected of being a secondary release that had been recorked? Either way, I would agree that there should be some additional information on the bottle to let you know that there has been an amendment to the original bottling.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The SW77 had been in the UK since not long after release.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

idj123 wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:From what I've been told a VP needs around 1-2 years to really resettle itself after recording.

IIRC the 77 Smith was recorked around 2011-ish. Give or take a bit. So by now all should be fine.