Riedel BAR collection

Anything to do with Port.
gardenhose
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Riedel BAR collection

Post by gardenhose »

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is much of a difference between the Vinum port glass and the BAR port glass. They seem to be similar in shape and both are made by Riedel. I found a good deal on the BAR collection ones and wanted to make sure they weren't an inferior product.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Riedel BAR collection

Post by LGTrotter »

I had a look online at these and for the life of me I can't see the difference between them and the Vinum glasses, at least in terms of shape. There doesn't even seem to be a difference in the specification, but presumably there must be a difference. Sorry this is no sort of an answer but it is the best I can do.
gardenhose
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by gardenhose »

That is alright! I appreciate the effort. That is the same conclusion that I came to, as well. I picked up the four they had remaining.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The BAR collection is aimed at restaurant and trade users. I believe that these are moulded or machine blown and use a higher soda content and less quartz.

They are much cheaper, the same shape and are almost the same weight. You get 99% of the same pleasure from the BAR glass. I tried one last Thursday after dinner after the Port Walk.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote:The BAR collection is aimed at restaurant and trade users. I believe that these are moulded or machine blown and use a higher soda content and less quartz.

They are much cheaper, the same shape and are almost the same weight. You get 99% of the same pleasure from the BAR glass. I tried one last Thursday after dinner after the Port Walk.
This is my understanding also. They are the same size/shape as the Vinum but use less expensive materials.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:The BAR collection is aimed at restaurant and trade users. I believe that these are moulded or machine blown and use a higher soda content and less quartz.

This is my understanding also. They are the same size/shape as the Vinum but use less expensive materials.
+2 And are designed to be far more durable to stand up to restaurant use.

I would love to find a place to buy these in Southern California at good prices for some house stemware for tastings.