Decanter Spain & Portugal Fine Wine Encounter Feb 2016

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Decanter Spain & Portugal Fine Wine Encounter Feb 2016

Post by Doggett »

I am considering buying some tickets for the Decanter fine wine encounter on 27th Feb 2016, where there is a 'The Douro Boys - Flying the flag for the Douro' masterclass. Info is a bit thin but I am guessing they will have port producers as well as Douro wine makers. It is £50 for the day tasting ticket, and another £50 for the masterclass. Has anyone on :tpf: been to one of these before? And if so would you recommend or are you going next year?

Simon
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Decanter Spain & Portugal Fine Wine Encounter Feb 2016

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I probably end up going to one Decanter Wine show every five years or so. The last one I went to was when the Symingtons held a Port masterclass, but I forget when that was.

The events are well organised and the Landmark Hotel is a good venue for these wine fairs. If you've not been to one before it's worth going just to see what you think in terms of organisation and value for money. In my mind they are decent value for money - less expensive than if you go to a Berry Brothers tasting, for example.

I would expect to see Port featuring on some tables and possibly a bottle or two in the Douro Boys masterclass.

If you do go, please do post your thoughts on what you found so that others can include your opinion when they decide whether or not to attend in future years.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: Decanter Spain & Portugal Fine Wine Encounter Feb 2016

Post by Doggett »

Thanks for the reply Alex. If I do end up going along I will most certainly report back on the merits of the day and the masterclass.

Simon