How old are these ports

Anything to do with Port.
barrieportugal
Cruz Ruby

How old are these ports

Post by barrieportugal »

I have 100 bottles of Cockburns Lunch Port. One of the bottles has a tax strip on it with the number 462122 on it. Does anyone know how old they are and how much they are worth?
I also have 100 bottles of Santhiago Porto Cepa Tawny Port. Again, any idea on age and value?

I have attached a photo (I think)

Thanks
Attachments
Photo of bottles
Photo of bottles
ptbhl6DSC_0353DSC_0353DSC_0353DSC_0353.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: How old are these ports

Post by Andy Velebil »

The tax stamp is actually called a Selo (for short). It only means it was bottled in Vila Nova d. Gaia (back then). That style was no longer in use after the early 1970's.

The Cockburn's is most likely a more basic or mid level ruby or tawny. The other most likely being a lower or mid level tawny. Most likely not worth much given their old age and the fact they weren't meant to be aged to begin with. That said if well stored it may taste ok still, but don't expect grandeur.

Where did you run across so many old bottles and how have they been stored for all these years?
barrieportugal
Cruz Ruby

Post by barrieportugal »

Thanks for the reply.

They belong to a Portuguese friend of mine who inherited them. I don't know much about Port, but I am told they have been stored correctly in a cellar. He doesn't speak very much English and he got very excited when he saw the year 1815 on the bottle of Cockburns. I had to break the news to him that it was the year Cockburns were established and not the year of the Port.

Thanks again.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Old, but sadly not sought after, so not likely to make more than a few pounds per bottle at auction.

However, try drinking one or two and report back - you might find they're rather nice despite the fact that they should have been drunk forty years ago...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill