A Year in Port - A film documentary

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

A Year in Port - A film documentary

Post by Doggett »

At the risk of going over the ground of an old post, I thought I would let you know about what will hopefully be a wonderful documentary on Port to be released in 2016. It is made by David Kennard and Inca Films who have previously made the wonderful wine documentaries: A Year in Burgundy and A Year in Champagne. If you haven't seen these, I very much recommend them. They give a wonderful look at the inner workings of a vineyard and major wine brand. And in 2016, the next in their trilogy is 'A year in Port'.

I don't know the participants or synopsis of the upcoming 'A year in Port', but maybe some other members have heard what Port Houses are involved. Whatever the focus, it will be fantastic to have a high end production documentary that looks at Port. If the previous two docs of their trilogy are anything to go by, it will be a fascinating look behind the scenes and wonderfully filmed.

I have written to David, expressing an interest in the film and it's release etc. I have also enquired about screenings and any launch events, even suggesting a TPF tasting and screening. David has very graciously responded and will make sure that details get sent through when a release date is agreed on by the film distributor and he knows more about the release plans.

Does anyone have any further details? I will pass on anything else I hear back.

Simon
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A Year in Port - A film documentary

Post by DRT »

This is the first I've heard of it. Good work!

We organised something similar for another port-based film a few years ago. A tasting before, during or after seems appropriate.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This does sound really interesting.

The previous event mentioned by Derek was for the film Life on the Douro which was made by Zev Robinson. For that, Zev organised a screening at the Roxy Bar and Screen 128-132 Borough High Street. It was a very enjoyable evening and a great event. If I recall, the cinema requested us not to take our own port but it is only just round the corner from the Boot & Flogger.

I would love if something similar could be organised for this film. I'm not a member of the Roxy Club, but I'd be happy to help if David wanted someone on the ground in London to investigate. The club accommodates up to 100 people for a private screening so a decent size crowd could be welcomed. Cost is pretty modest @ about £420 (including VAT) for the venue; film hire costs, food and drink would be extra.

Depending on which producers feature in the film we could probably also persuade a number of producers to support a launch event held at the Roxy.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

It would be great if we could get something organised, and if we could do that with a Port producer all the better. I will ask that he keeps :tpf: in mind, and when the release date and promotional plan are known, we can look at what is possible.

Simon
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Having had the pleasure of learning about the film last night at our tasting, I'm now sitting down with a glass of port to watch another of David's films, A Year in Burgundy. :D
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

flash_uk wrote:Having had the pleasure of learning about the film last night at our tasting, I'm now sitting down with a glass of port to watch another of David's films, A Year in Burgundy. :D
I've just posted a similar comment in "other wines" as I watch A Year in Champagne.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.