Cockburn 1977

Anything to do with Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Cockburn 1977

Post by LGTrotter »

I noticed this on wine searcher; http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/07/ ... y-released saying that Cockburn 77 is finally going to be released.

I remember several people talking positively about the quality of this wine. I for one was quite excited by this. Does anyone have insider knowledge about when and where this will be released? Is it going to be worth seeking out?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Cockburn 1977

Post by jdaw1 »

Tasted on 08 Oct 2008, it was wonderful. But at the BFT on 06 May 2015, much less good. YMMV.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Disagreeing with JDAW; I tasted this in 2013 when I marked it "good/very good", and then in 2015 (at the BFT) where I marked it "very good". Whether it is worth buying will depend on many personal factors as always, and in particular the price compared to other '70s & '77s; I suspect it might be priced higher than typical based on combination of ex-cellars provenance and the small number of cases being released, which I believe is expected to be in the autumn this year.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Disagreeing with JDAW …in 2015 (at the BFT) where I marked it "very good".
It is likely that more than one bottle was used at the BFT.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

PhilW wrote: Whether it is worth buying will depend on many personal factors as always, and in particular the price compared to other '70s & '77s; I suspect it might be priced higher than typical based on combination of ex-cellars provenance and the small number of cases being released, which I believe is expected to be in the autumn this year.
Having looked at the tenor of the blurb it seems as though you are right Phil. I think it will not try to be comparable with what is available in the market, in terms of price. I wonder whether it might be better to look for a decent 77 which has been stored in the UK rather than lash out between £75 and £130 a bottle (price suggested on the 'Drinks Business' site). But I have always been keen to have a few, which I suppose is what they are hoping. Not sure how much traction this wine will gain if it is overpriced, there seem to be quite a lot of the limited release ports left in the market. But I suppose if they are only bringing 300 bottles into the UK market it doesn't matter much what happens to it.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I thought a picture might be worth a thousand words.
image.jpg
image.jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 12188 times

Just says vintage port, nothing about crusted on the label. The bottle should have been facing the other way, to give the illusion it was gazing keenly into the middle distance. But I must say it looks most attractive.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Nice pic and I believe a different label to the one at the BFT-although I could be wrong. Anyhow, I agree with Phil I thought that the bottle I tasted at BFT showed a fresh wine with still some way to go to full maturity but whether I would purchase at the pricing indicated is another matter.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Where and when was that pic taken?

And yes, a very nice looking label.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Andy Velebil wrote:Where and when was that pic taken?
Don't know, it was on the 'Drinks Business' page announcing the release.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A suggestion: Team TPF own a small stock of Ck1977 gifted to the collective by the former owners of the brand.

Now that this wine is commercially available we could crack open a bottle at a tasting to allow potential buyers to who have not tasted it to try before they buy.

Thoughts?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Image appears to have been taken on the 21st June at 14:19 (probably UTC), using an iPhone 5s. So, it's a very recent pic, which I would therefore guess is either the latest draft/marketing dummy label, or the final product. Nice label, lovely view (which I imagine someone will be able to recognise?).
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:A suggestion: Team TPF own a small stock of Ck1977 gifted to the collective by the former owners of the brand.

Now that this wine is commercially available we could crack open a bottle at a tasting to allow potential buyers to who have not tasted it to try before they buy.

Thoughts?
If the team would at least save one for the next time I am over I would be very grateful. I would bring something appropriate to go with it.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote:
Image appears to have been taken on the 21st June at 14:19 (probably UTC), using an iPhone 5s. So, it's a very recent pic, which I would therefore guess is either the latest draft/marketing dummy label, or the final product. Nice label, lovely view (which I imagine someone will be able to recognise?).
Thanks.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:
DRT wrote:A suggestion: Team TPF own a small stock of Ck1977 gifted to the collective by the former owners of the brand.

Thoughts?
If the team would at least save one for the next time I am over I would be very grateful. I would bring something appropriate to go with it.
I think that could be arranged :smile:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

Thoughts?
I think that could be arranged :smile:
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:
Location seems to be Quinta dos Canais, perhaps unsurprisingly.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Andy Velebil wrote:

Thoughts?
I add my name to this plea.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I assume this will be imported through Fells in the UK. I wonder where the bottles will end up? The usual suspects in terms of merchants I suppose. If anyone gets news I should be glad to know.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Does anyone have an update to when and where the Cockburn 1977 will be released?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

"The fall", was the nearest time estimate for the time of release. It might be worth pestering local stockists of Symington wines. I don't know who the importers are in Sweden. In the UK it is Fells. I shall email Berrys in September because I can't think of a better plan.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I plan to put in an order for at least 6 once it comes around.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Who has the best relationship with Fells? Perhaps an advance order could be assembled and conveyed to the Symingtons and their UK importers.

None for me.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

I'll be interested in buying some Ck77. However, there will be no release in Sweden so I will have to ship from the UK. Does anyone have any new information on the subject?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

JB vintage wrote:Does anyone have an update to when and where the Cockburn 1977 will be released?
Furthermore;
JB vintage wrote:I'll be interested in buying some Ck77. However, there will be no release in Sweden so I will have to ship from the UK. Does anyone have any new information on the subject?
Don't panic! Of course if I hear anything I will report it here, however I am slow and generally the last person to know. Others may have the ear of the right person and be able to say sooner. I notice that wine searcher has an email alert button which would presumably tell you when this wine appears on the market. I have never tried it and do not know if you have to be a subscriber in order to use it. But it was a thought.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Great advice! Thank you.