How to spell "Port"

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

How to spell "Port"

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I received a very interesting request today from George Sandeman. As many of you know, George is a figurehead and representative of the wines from the Douro region, especially the fortified wines. One of the ways in which he is working to distinguish the fortified wines from the Douro is to ensure that articles and online publications recognise that these are wines from an officially recognised Geographical Indication.

Hence we can write about Port and about Vintage Port.

George has asked if The Port Forum would be willing and able to be ambassadors for capitalising Port. That when we write about our favourite wine, we write about Vintage Port and that when we write about our second favourite wine we write about Late Bottled Vintage Port (OK, I made up the request for the second one).

I like the challenge and I am sure that if we are enthusiastic adopters of the practice George will be grateful. Given how much better we are at using apostrophes properly I am wondering whether I should ask our resident pedant to start a thread called "Capitalisation Crimes" to help us adopt the new best practice.

So please encourage each other to capitalise where appropriate and let's try to be good ambassadors.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: How to spell "Port"

Post by DaveRL »

Good idea, I'll try.

I'm pretty sure, incidentally, that we have more than one resident pedant, but one in particular is most useful in starting new threads and policing us.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Capitalizing Port has been standard practice on FTLOP for as long as I can remember, and I've always done it here, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: How to spell

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote: 05:48 Wed 21 Nov 2018 Capitalizing Port has been standard practice on FTLOP for as long as I can remember, and I've always done it here, too.
+1 - although I capitalise, not capitalize.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn is correct, that somewhere in the late 1980's I was tired of Americans using both "port" and "vintage port" and the rest of my life to this date I have been using Port and Vintage Port and did a thread about this on FTLOP many years back and even questioned why the Port trade never used a capital P.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I have been "strongly informed" by the IVDP that this would be the only proper way to write Port some years ago. It was the former President Manuel Cabral who asked me to do so.

Best

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com