Search found 20497 matches

by jdaw1
10:07 Sat 20 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Which makes our full quota of fourteen. A reserve list has been started.
by jdaw1
23:03 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

If there’s space I’d like to attend. As this will be my first TPF vertical, please get in touch to let me know if I need to do anything particular in advance. Thanks, Michael We all had a first — it’s good. Anything particular? Attend, not smelling of perfume nor of smoke. What are your initials, a...
by jdaw1
22:39 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

Bartholomew Broadbent, by email, wrote:Can we pencil in Thursday, March 14th?
Hence:
jdaw1 wrote:
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Date: perhaps Thursday 14th March 2019.
by jdaw1
20:01 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Broadbent Port

Doggett wrote:
22:25 Thu 18 Oct 2018
If dates, themes and space permit I would like to come along.
DaveRL wrote:
14:53 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Yes please.
flash_uk wrote:
15:16 Fri 19 Oct 2018
I'm up for this, date permitting.
idj123 wrote:
18:08 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Yes please for this!
PhilW wrote:
19:02 Fri 19 Oct 2018
I'd be interested too, if space and dates permit.
All added.
by jdaw1
18:05 Fri 19 Oct 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 33
Views: 1418

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

AHB wrote:
18:02 Wed 17 Oct 2018
I was slightly disappointed that neither episode featured the actual drinking of Port.
I was the guest — it was worse for me!
by jdaw1
22:45 Thu 18 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tue 30th October
Replies: 16
Views: 387

Re: Tue 30th October

AHB wrote:
14:19 Fri 12 Oct 2018
Theme: Mature Single Quinta (or Second Label) Ports (mature defined as >20 years since the vintage)
AHB wrote:
16:48 Thu 18 Oct 2018
and a bottle of GM04!
2018−2004 ≱ 20.

I have a good 2001 single-quinta to hand. Would that be allowed?
by jdaw1
21:12 Thu 18 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Broadbent Port

Dates permitting, we might be joined by Bartholomew Broadbent himself. I have proposed a course of his Ports, and then a course of something older from our cellars. We have a Broadbent 1997 that we may contribute with if there is room for us at the table and if the date is suitable for us. Sten, Ste...
by jdaw1
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Re: Broadbent Port

In gathering information about a new Port name little seen this side of the Atlantic — Broadbent — a tasting was kindly offered. And accepted. One bottle of each of Bb00, Bb03, Bb07, Bb11 and Bb15 are to be sent to me.

When?
by jdaw1
21:53 Mon 15 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F
Replies: 17
Views: 379

Thu 14th March 2019, Broadbent Port, at the B&F

This post to hold arrangements as and when agreed. Date: perhaps Thursday 14 th March 2019. Venue: The Boot & Flogger , 10-20 Redcross Way, London SE1 1TA, tel +44 20 7407 1184 ( streetmap.co.uk , maps.google.co.uk , bing , cafe.humid.palace ) . (Red Room booked by email on Sat 20 th Oct.) Theme: B...
by jdaw1
16:20 Fri 12 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tue 30th October
Replies: 16
Views: 387

Re: Tue 30th October

Likely me.
by jdaw1
15:30 Sun 07 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Do we need a 1966 Horizontal?
Replies: 17
Views: 594

Re: Do we need a 1966 Horizontal?

Would a Fonseca 1966 be welcome?

† Yes yes, of course, even if there were already several F66s, another would be welcome.
by jdaw1
20:54 Fri 05 Oct 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 129
Views: 18920

Re: RE: Re: Port House abbreviations

Doggett wrote:Io?
No. Consonants give gravitas and structure. Only vowels only when really necessary.
by jdaw1
21:41 Mon 01 Oct 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 129
Views: 18920

Re: Port House abbreviations

Suggestion: Lm = Quinta das Lamelas Fine by me. Also, I for Infantado doesn’t fit the general pattern of reserving the few single-letter names for the few ancient famous blends of large volume and fame. Should it be In or If or It or Id ? Unless there’s strong and quick dissent, it’s going to be In .
by jdaw1
23:01 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

flash_uk wrote:
17:59 Sun 30 Sep 2018
I can print.
Thank you. N.B.:
jdaw1 wrote:
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
(Do force-reload images. PDF version = 11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018.)
by jdaw1
21:21 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 129
Views: 18920

Re: Port House abbreviations

List in fourth post of this thread, which includes Bb = Broadbent (having consulted with Bartholomew Broadbent).
by jdaw1
17:12 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

PhilW wrote:
15:28 Sun 30 Sep 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Please could somebody check the placemats carefully, ideally today. Thank you.
Provided details in first post are all up to date, everything looks correct on the placemats to me.
Thank you.

• Derek: please confirm first post all good.

• Who can print?
by jdaw1
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Please could somebody check the placemats carefully, ideally today. Thank you. http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_g0.png http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_g1.png http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_v.png (Do force-reload images. PDF version = 11:00 Sun 30 Se...
by jdaw1
23:18 Sat 22 Sep 2018
Forum: Introductions
Topic: Hello!
Replies: 3
Views: 756

Re: Hello!

Hello and welcome. T63 is good. Some say it has plenty of life in it; some (incl. me) think it should be drunk soon.
by jdaw1
23:17 Sat 22 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Works for me, thank you.
by jdaw1
22:53 Wed 19 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Perhaps this would be easier if the food orders were parameters in the placemats? The defaults could be called automatically with the option to override. Julian? We did have food in the placemats, but 7¾ years ago: see page 33 of 20101202_gbp15 . It was a faff, and scrapped. But there could be a Wo...
by jdaw1
11:51 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote:
09:23 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Ben Read (BMHR) has now confirmed he will be taking vacant seat.
Placemats updated (version = ‘201809161145’).
• Please could they be checked?
• Who will print?
by jdaw1
16:40 Sat 15 Sep 2018
Forum: Reviews
Topic: Wed 12 September — 2016
Replies: 5
Views: 638

Re: Wed 12 September — 2016

Thank you to Tony for organising and bringing bottles, and to the shippers for providing samples. As Alex wrote, there seem to be two styles. One was rich and sweet and very much my type of port; the other emphasised acidity — which is less to my taste. For me the sweet wines were like a slightly li...
by jdaw1
16:50 Fri 14 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 19086

Re: RE: Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote: who was added to the wait list twice by the former organiser.
I feel the sting of the slap.
by jdaw1
15:22 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 3191

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Thank you.