Search found 20488 matches

by jdaw1
16:20 Fri 12 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tue 30th October
Replies: 10
Views: 202

Re: Tue 30th October

Likely me.
by jdaw1
15:30 Sun 07 Oct 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Do we need a 1966 Horizontal?
Replies: 17
Views: 517

Re: Do we need a 1966 Horizontal?

Would a Fonseca 1966 be welcome?

† Yes yes, of course, even if there were already several F66s, another would be welcome.
by jdaw1
20:54 Fri 05 Oct 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 128
Views: 18585

Re: RE: Re: Port House abbreviations

Doggett wrote:Io?
No. Consonants give gravitas and structure. Only vowels only when really necessary.
by jdaw1
21:41 Mon 01 Oct 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 128
Views: 18585

Re: Port House abbreviations

Suggestion: Lm = Quinta das Lamelas Fine by me. Also, I for Infantado doesn’t fit the general pattern of reserving the few single-letter names for the few ancient famous blends of large volume and fame. Should it be In or If or It or Id ? Unless there’s strong and quick dissent, it’s going to be In .
by jdaw1
23:01 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

flash_uk wrote:
17:59 Sun 30 Sep 2018
I can print.
Thank you. N.B.:
jdaw1 wrote:
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
(Do force-reload images. PDF version = 11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018.)
by jdaw1
21:21 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 128
Views: 18585

Re: Port House abbreviations

List in fourth post of this thread, which includes Bb = Broadbent (having consulted with Bartholomew Broadbent).
by jdaw1
17:12 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

PhilW wrote:
15:28 Sun 30 Sep 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Please could somebody check the placemats carefully, ideally today. Thank you.
Provided details in first post are all up to date, everything looks correct on the placemats to me.
Thank you.

• Derek: please confirm first post all good.

• Who can print?
by jdaw1
11:00 Sun 30 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Please could somebody check the placemats carefully, ideally today. Thank you. http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_g0.png http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_g1.png http://www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20181002_Cockburn_v.png (Do force-reload images. PDF version = 11:00 Sun 30 Se...
by jdaw1
23:18 Sat 22 Sep 2018
Forum: Introductions
Topic: Hello!
Replies: 3
Views: 658

Re: Hello!

Hello and welcome. T63 is good. Some say it has plenty of life in it; some (incl. me) think it should be drunk soon.
by jdaw1
23:17 Sat 22 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Works for me, thank you.
by jdaw1
22:53 Wed 19 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Perhaps this would be easier if the food orders were parameters in the placemats? The defaults could be called automatically with the option to override. Julian? We did have food in the placemats, but 7¾ years ago: see page 33 of 20101202_gbp15 . It was a faff, and scrapped. But there could be a Wo...
by jdaw1
11:51 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote:
09:23 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Ben Read (BMHR) has now confirmed he will be taking vacant seat.
Placemats updated (version = ‘201809161145’).
• Please could they be checked?
• Who will print?
by jdaw1
16:40 Sat 15 Sep 2018
Forum: Reviews
Topic: Wed 12 September — 2016
Replies: 5
Views: 602

Re: Wed 12 September — 2016

Thank you to Tony for organising and bringing bottles, and to the shippers for providing samples. As Alex wrote, there seem to be two styles. One was rich and sweet and very much my type of port; the other emphasised acidity — which is less to my taste. For me the sweet wines were like a slightly li...
by jdaw1
16:50 Fri 14 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 224
Views: 18618

Re: RE: Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote: who was added to the wait list twice by the former organiser.
I feel the sting of the slap.
by jdaw1
15:22 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 3143

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Thank you.
by jdaw1
13:16 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 3143

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Please print the stickies on the correct side. (That error has been seen before!)
by jdaw1
07:21 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 1162

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Glenn E. wrote:
01:53 Tue 11 Sep 2018
Safe to wait to place the group order until at least Oct 3, or will orders have closed by then?
Safe.
by jdaw1
20:44 Tue 11 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 3143

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

flash_uk wrote:
19:15 Tue 11 Sep 2018
is missing Offley, Sandeman, Messias and Cachao.
Weren’t in first post. Added. Please re-check.

Who to print?
by jdaw1
21:48 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 128
Views: 18585

Re: Port House abbreviations

DRT wrote:
21:27 Mon 10 Sep 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Already in.
jdaw1 wrote:Vz = Quinta de Ventozelo
:roll:
Oops. {Blushes!}

Vr then.
by jdaw1
20:05 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 128
Views: 18585

Re: Port House abbreviations

Image

Porto Valriz: ‘Vr’ or ‘Vz’?
by jdaw1
19:55 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 3143

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Is the list of confirmed bottles correct? I’m about to make the sticky labels.

Current version at www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20180912_2016s.pdf. Please peruse and comment, perhaps after answering this question.
by jdaw1
22:58 Sun 09 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 1162

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Usual practice is to charge for signing. Since when have I been bound by usual practice? No charge — just bring to the event a bottle of great Port and the book, and I’ll happily sign. (My proper ink pen was cleaned and dried and put away about 22 years ago. It has been brought out of retirement, an...
by jdaw1
00:10 Fri 07 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 1162

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Best part of this book is that i'm going to use it as a checklist and have my fellow port lovers signature bottles shared together! Great plan. Don’t forget to add the date drank. Terrible plan. There is little chance of tasting a large fraction of the ≤1900 Ports in the book. and will post on soci...
by jdaw1
20:42 Tue 04 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 1162

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Signing? The books will be printed in Glasgow, and distributed from there. So not before arrival. But books brought to tastings can of course be signed. Decide in advance what you want written in the front. People: please do market this to wine aficionados you know. I really want it to be owned and ...