Search found 20477 matches

by jdaw1
22:53 Wed 19 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 200
Views: 14809

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Perhaps this would be easier if the food orders were parameters in the placemats? The defaults could be called automatically with the option to override. Julian? We did have food in the placemats, but 7¾ years ago: see page 33 of 20101202_gbp15 . It was a faff, and scrapped. But there could be a Wo...
by jdaw1
11:51 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 200
Views: 14809

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote:
09:23 Sun 16 Sep 2018
Ben Read (BMHR) has now confirmed he will be taking vacant seat.
Placemats updated (version = ‘201809161145’).
• Please could they be checked?
• Who will print?
by jdaw1
16:40 Sat 15 Sep 2018
Forum: Reviews
Topic: Wed 12 September — 2016
Replies: 4
Views: 205

Re: Wed 12 September — 2016

Thank you to Tony for organising and bringing bottles, and to the shippers for providing samples. As Alex wrote, there seem to be two styles. One was rich and sweet and very much my type of port; the other emphasised acidity — which is less to my taste. For me the sweet wines were like a slightly li...
by jdaw1
16:50 Fri 14 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 200
Views: 14809

Re: RE: Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote: who was added to the wait list twice by the former organiser.
I feel the sting of the slap.
by jdaw1
15:22 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 2441

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Thank you.
by jdaw1
13:16 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 2441

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Please print the stickies on the correct side. (That error has been seen before!)
by jdaw1
07:21 Wed 12 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 721

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Glenn E. wrote:
01:53 Tue 11 Sep 2018
Safe to wait to place the group order until at least Oct 3, or will orders have closed by then?
Safe.
by jdaw1
20:44 Tue 11 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 2441

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

flash_uk wrote:
19:15 Tue 11 Sep 2018
is missing Offley, Sandeman, Messias and Cachao.
Weren’t in first post. Added. Please re-check.

Who to print?
by jdaw1
21:48 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 122
Views: 17578

Re: Port House abbreviations

DRT wrote:
21:27 Mon 10 Sep 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
14:28 Fri 09 Sep 2016
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:What other Quinta d… V…s might need either of these?
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Already in.
jdaw1 wrote:Vz = Quinta de Ventozelo
:roll:
Oops. {Blushes!}

Vr then.
by jdaw1
20:05 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Site Stuff
Topic: Port House abbreviations
Replies: 122
Views: 17578

Re: Port House abbreviations

Image

Porto Valriz: ‘Vr’ or ‘Vz’?
by jdaw1
19:55 Mon 10 Sep 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 2441

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Is the list of confirmed bottles correct? I’m about to make the sticky labels.

Current version at www.jdawiseman.com/2018/20180912_2016s.pdf. Please peruse and comment, perhaps after answering this question.
by jdaw1
22:58 Sun 09 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 721

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Usual practice is to charge for signing. Since when have I been bound by usual practice? No charge — just bring to the event a bottle of great Port and the book, and I’ll happily sign. (My proper ink pen was cleaned and dried and put away about 22 years ago. It has been brought out of retirement, an...
by jdaw1
00:10 Fri 07 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 721

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Best part of this book is that i'm going to use it as a checklist and have my fellow port lovers signature bottles shared together! Great plan. Don’t forget to add the date drank. Terrible plan. There is little chance of tasting a large fraction of the ≤1900 Ports in the book. and will post on soci...
by jdaw1
20:42 Tue 04 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 721

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Signing? The books will be printed in Glasgow, and distributed from there. So not before arrival. But books brought to tastings can of course be signed. Decide in advance what you want written in the front. People: please do market this to wine aficionados you know. I really want it to be owned and ...
by jdaw1
21:44 Mon 03 Sep 2018
Forum: Port Conversations
Topic: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale
Replies: 28
Views: 721

The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Port drinker and friends. As many of you know, for ages and ages I’ve been writing a book, Port Vintages . As George Sandeman says, “This is the definitive reference book on old Vintage Port. Every book that comes after will rely on it.” And — drum roll — it is now officially on sale! Please order a...
by jdaw1
21:13 Wed 29 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1127
Views: 210676

Re: Software that makes placemats

Note that there is an equivalent /ShapesInOvertitles parameter, and indeed equivalents for /ShapesInAbovetitles , /ShapesInBelowtitles and /ShapesInPlacenames (noting the latter has missing { } brackets in the definition compared with the peer definitions). Note ‘latter’ of two; ‘last’ of three or ...
by jdaw1
23:14 Tue 28 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1127
Views: 210676

Re: Software that makes placemats

g-man wrote:
01:13 Tue 28 Aug 2018
The vintage stars themselves I find a little too cluttered for the overall appearance that I'm distracted with the fill and not the vintage date itself.
I suggest /ShapesInTitles false def as the perfect solution.
by jdaw1
16:38 Mon 27 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1127
Views: 210676

Re: Software that makes placemats

I've sold the ps2pdf.com domain and it is now being run by someone else. I continue to keep the old service as ps2pdf.org . I'm not even sure how your email made it to me as the new owner should be receiving email for the dot com domain but perhaps has not updated something. When I take the documen...
by jdaw1
11:07 Sun 26 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1127
Views: 210676

Re: Software that makes placemats

Link to Thomas V’s comment. I’ve asked the PS➝PDF folks for help.
by jdaw1
01:13 Sat 18 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 49
Views: 2441

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

I suggest organising it as a self-pour walk around tasting. Put all the bottles on some tables at one end of the Red Room and people just help themselves to what they want, sitting down and taking notes as they wish. Agreed. I’ll prepare sticky labels rather than the usual circles (when there’s a l...
by jdaw1
16:35 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 2343

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

Mrs W. has coped. Hurray!
by jdaw1
15:46 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 2343

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

I'm asking Mrs W. to update the placemats. If too late — if already printed — please say so.
by jdaw1
09:36 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 2343

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

CPR 1 wrote:I can print if needed?
Yes please.
by jdaw1
22:32 Sun 12 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 2343

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

jdaw1 wrote:
19:17 Thu 26 Jul 2018
draft of the placemats.
Good? Please check soon.
by jdaw1
22:24 Sat 11 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 2343

Re: August emergencies

jdaw1 wrote:
20:59 Fri 10 Aug 2018
Will I need to adopt?
I haven’t been Sussex recently. Please, can anybody help me?

I’ll make placemats on Sunday. Assuming blind.