Search found 20458 matches

by jdaw1
01:13 Sat 18 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 22
Views: 581

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

I suggest organising it as a self-pour walk around tasting. Put all the bottles on some tables at one end of the Red Room and people just help themselves to what they want, sitting down and taking notes as they wish. Agreed. I’ll prepare sticky labels rather than the usual circles (when there’s a l...
by jdaw1
16:35 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

Mrs W. has coped. Hurray!
by jdaw1
15:46 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

I'm asking Mrs W. to update the placemats. If too late — if already printed — please say so.
by jdaw1
09:36 Mon 13 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

CPR 1 wrote:I can print if needed?
Yes please.
by jdaw1
22:32 Sun 12 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: Mon 13 August: Emergency

jdaw1 wrote:
19:17 Thu 26 Jul 2018
draft of the placemats.
Good? Please check soon.
by jdaw1
22:24 Sat 11 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: August emergencies

jdaw1 wrote:
20:59 Fri 10 Aug 2018
Will I need to adopt?
I haven’t been Sussex recently. Please, can anybody help me?

I’ll make placemats on Sunday. Assuming blind.
by jdaw1
21:02 Fri 10 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 30.11.2018 2016 Vintage Port tasting in Germany
Replies: 3
Views: 1035

Re: 30.11.2018 2016 Vintage Port tasting in Germany

Placemats can be made. Let me know names of people.
by jdaw1
20:59 Fri 10 Aug 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: August emergencies

CPR 1 wrote:
10:31 Wed 08 Aug 2018
booked the red room for Monday 13th
Who is in the quorum? What is the theme? Will I need to adopt? I think we should be told.
by jdaw1
09:38 Tue 31 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September
Replies: 22
Views: 581

Re: 2016 VP's - Wed 12 September

Yes please.
by jdaw1
16:03 Sat 28 Jul 2018
Forum: Meaningless Drivel
Topic: Apostrophe crimes
Replies: 2049
Views: 248129

Re: Apostrophe crimes

In The Economist!Image
by jdaw1
10:46 Fri 27 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 148
Views: 9608

Re: RE: Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote:JDAW - I think we have a placemat crisis :?
In what way was this not done last night?
by jdaw1
22:53 Thu 26 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Re: August emergencies

jdaw1 wrote:
19:17 Thu 26 Jul 2018
photographed by friend-of-HI professional photographer.
Who I am now told is unavailable.

Which need not stop us.
by jdaw1
19:17 Thu 26 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Mon 13 August: Emergency
Replies: 47
Views: 990

Mon 13 August: Emergency

The Boss has told me that the website for the book needs some really good pictures of a tasting. Fine Port being drunk by Fine Men, with a Debonaire Intensity appropriate to the King of Wines (maybe she didn’t quite say all that, but near enough), as photographed by friend-of-HI professional photog...
by jdaw1
15:53 Thu 26 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 148
Views: 9608

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

flash_uk wrote:
10:50 Tue 24 Jul 2018
I think the '24 is missing from the placemat?
{Sackcloth and ashes.} Fixed.
by jdaw1
22:04 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share
Replies: 42
Views: 1085

Re: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share

PhilW wrote:
21:04 Mon 23 Jul 2018
jdaw1 wrote:
20:25 Mon 23 Jul 2018
[…] Edit: the placemats added to first post.
Thanks Julian - I was going to do that this evening, but only just back now.
Quite simple, but nonetheless, please check for errors.
by jdaw1
22:02 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 148
Views: 9608

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

Please could you update the images in the first post to show the current placemat? I know not how. For every tasting, every time † the PDF is updated, the PNGs are also updated. † Excepting times when the update to the PDF would not change the PNGs. E.g., if updating only the links in the PDF’s sid...
by jdaw1
20:25 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share
Replies: 42
Views: 1085

Re: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share

AHB wrote:
19:45 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Why don’t I do so and one can be JDAW’s adoptee.
Thank you.

I’ll make the paperwork.

Edit: the placemats added to first post.
by jdaw1
20:24 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018
Replies: 148
Views: 9608

Re: Cockburn Vertical, Tue 2nd Oct 2018

DRT wrote:
10:00 Mon 23 Jul 2018
JDAW, can you please update the placemats?
Done.
by jdaw1
15:46 Mon 23 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share
Replies: 42
Views: 1085

Re: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share

I have nothing to hand that is satisfactory. Would it be possible to adopt?
by jdaw1
23:37 Sun 22 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share
Replies: 42
Views: 1085

Re: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share

AHB wrote:
22:51 Sun 22 Jul 2018
(b) you didn’t get the big bottle rules changed until after the Cruz ‘89 had been released
But, in theory at least, it could have been bottled but not sold.
by jdaw1
22:48 Sun 22 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1119
Views: 200273

Re: Software that makes placemats

Decision made: fixed.

That the fix has shortened the code by ten lines increases the likelihood that it was the right thing to do.
by jdaw1
22:47 Sun 22 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share
Replies: 42
Views: 1085

Re: Tues 24th July - Bring a bottle to share

AHB wrote:
20:58 Sun 22 Jul 2018
If declaring, I declare that I will bring a glorious double magnum of Cruz 1989.
Interesting. I had no prior evidence that Cz1989 had been bottled in a double-magnum.
by jdaw1
20:34 Sat 21 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1119
Views: 200273

Re: Software that makes placemats

"need"? no. "want"? perhaps - I would likely have compromised this one, and not chosen alignment for this, unless it turned out to look poor. Disagree: this is a need. With your chosen method you still should only need to cache and reseed while drawing the multiple aspects of a single circle, then ...
by jdaw1
12:26 Sat 21 Jul 2018
Forum: Organising Tastings and Get-togethers
Topic: Software that makes placemats
Replies: 1119
Views: 200273

Re: Software that makes placemats

Why do you keep get/setting the seed, rather than simply setting it at the start of the script (presumably to a fixed value for determinism) and then just using rand throughout thereafter? Because sometimes multiple passes of randomness need to be aligned. E.g., in Titles and Overtitles : http://ww...